1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it weird... to be depressed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Amethyst_remembrance, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Amethyst_remembrance

both me and my sister have soicil axeity and have been depressed for most of my life, i don't know her real reasons but mine was fear of what i was. my sister , 17 , and i 19 . but we both get nervous in public , sometimes cry , and we both had had thoughts of suicide. my mom gets my sister a conciler, a therapest and gets her put on meds. for me , my mom tells me " your almost 20 , you need to stop acting like this ." ... is it starnge to be upset, and even a little jelous. it's like my mom doesn't belive i'm truley upset or something.... i don't think she takes anything i say seriousley...well thats not true she is a very good mother. i told her i don't know if i like girls or guys , and we went to the mall , and she pointed out good looking guys and girls... so she is trying to help me with that.. so it's not that i don't love her.. i .. don't know what i'm saying... it's just when your duaghter says she attempted sucide numerous times.... you'd think she'd have a diffrent reaction. it's almost like she brushed it off, she changed the topic and never brought it up again... i really don't know what i want.... i'm confused.... i'm gonna go play my PS2 and eat twizzlers. :icon_sad:

~ Ammy

2. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe she jus trys to block out the memory? some times parents do that. Its perfectly natural to be depressed. Actually its becomming more and more common for people to go through depression and suicidal thoughts now. I've been there myself.
    Did you mean you feel your sister gets more love or attention at times than you? I know how that goes if so..and I believe thats fairly common too. Hope i helped any.

3. TriBi

Ammy - perhaps because your sister is younger your mother feels the need to be a bit more "protective" toward her. Maybe she feels that you have more maturity to be able work through your problems.

You said you don't know the real reasons for your sisters anxiety...are you close? Does she know your reasons? Is it possible that she is also unsure of her sexuality?

All I can suggest is that you try and make it clear to your mother that, even tho' you are a couple of years older than your sister, depression and anxiety are things that can affect anyone - at any age - and you feel that you also need help to overcome what you are going through. Is your mother aware of the fact that you have BOTH had thoughts of suicide?

It is hard to give advice when one knows little of the family dynamics - but it does sound to me as if you need to have a "heart to heart" chat with your Mom about how you feel.

4. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Amethyst
    I am echoing what TriBi has already said.. it is important that you let others know how you are feeling. If your mother does not help you address the feelings of depression and suicidal thoughts, I would encourage you to seek support from a counselor, doctor, friend, church, sister. ANYONE. This is a good place to start, but unfortunatly you can just turn off the computer when you don't want to hear anymore..

Social anxiety and depression can happen to anyone.. I have personally suffered from both in the past, and understand the heartache and nervousness. I still battle social anxiety at times. I know that medication has helped but it really only conceals the issues.

As a person in a helping profession, I can tell you that there is more than likely a crisis phone number in your phonebook.. If you start to feel uneasy you can always call them...

Good luck to you, I hope this helps a little..

5. Amethyst_remembrance

thanks for the advice, i'll try talking to my mom... or grandma or person in my phone book...but.. i'm kinda ok now, i was just alittle upset. but suicide is quitting. and i'm not a quitter !! thanks a whole bunch , i do feel better ! i'm gonna go start a happy thred !!

6. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Nice to hear that you are feeling better Ammy...