1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO I'm not telling my mum anything again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BookDragon, Aug 16, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So someone tell me if I'm over-reacting to this...

So I just told my mum I'm bi. Go me, being brave and all that. But here's the problem. Where as my Dad gave me a hug, said "thanks for trusting me with this" and was really cool about it my mum did this:

"Are you sure?"
    "Well don't do anything stupid with it"
    "You do always do things just to SHOCK people"

The problem is I know she searched my room at some point and I'm fairly sure she would have found either a wig or some womens underwear in there. So now I don't know if that comment was linked to not believing or whatever or if she is trying to tell me "now don't you go comin' round here with that CD shit!"

Needless to say I'm kinda pissed.

2. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on telling your parents! It's such a hard thing to do and you've done it!

As for your mum's reaction. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. She's just in shock which is natural. I'm sure you took time getting accustomed to your sexuality; she just needs time too.

Everything will be fine! It just takes time.

Sorry for the lame advice! Hope it helps you somewhat :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this went downhill so much faster than I thought it would...

So it turns out my mum thought that bisexual meant that your tastes changed every so often. In her own words "It's a shame you'll never be able to have a long term relationship". Which I thought was funny at first if only because then I figured it was just because she'd never considered it before.

Then she decided that bisexual meant plain gay. "At least I'll never have a daughter-in-law!" (Ignoring her other son and 2 daughters who may turn out gay). But still in the funny zone. Apparently she has been expecting my brother to "drop a bombshell" like this for ages but was suprised to hear me say it...maybe I don't act gay enough :grin: Then it got bad.

"As long as you don't start going around wearing dresses! That's just weird!".

Well fuck...it then transpired that she thought that cross dressing and gender transition was weird and basically wrong, although couldn't give me a reason. Then when I questioned it she started going on about how LGBT groups make everything worse for themselves by making such a big thing about sexuality. Apparently bad things don't happen to LGBT people in civilised countries, who knew right?

This went on for some significant amount of time and took a lot of explaining about just how fantastically misguided she is about the whole thing. "If [LGBT people] didn't go around showing it off all the time their wouldn't be a problem". I tried questioning why she could walk down the road hand-in-hand with her husband and its fine but if I did it with a guy that would be 'showing it off' but she had no answer.

Took sodding hours but I think I finally managed to convince her to rethink her position a bit but my goodness that was an unpleasant couple of hours...

4. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh wow, sounds like you had your work cut out with that one! I'm glad you managed to educate her somewhat on the subject! She'll reflect on it now and hopefully see it in a whole new light!

5. dreambig

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well done on coming out to your parents, I am not even at that stage yet but understand why you feel annoyed !

6. Snow1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I cant tell my mom i'm confused who i like :frowning2:

7. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    If you make a new thread you're more likely to get some more advice. :wink: