1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BookWorm, May 16, 2008.

1. BookWorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, i know it probably sounds really cheesy, but i'm writing a paper for my english class and i'm doing it on parents reactions to the sons/daughters coming out as LGBT people and how they dealt with it. So if you could say how you're parents reacted, or if you're a parent of an LGBT child it would be great to hear.
    Please and Thank you.(*hug*)

2. MeskElil

You can probably find some good stories under the forum "Coming Out Stories". It might help.

3. sdc91

Dad-Reacted really well, just made sure I was okay. He was more concerned about me having a harder life due to society.

Mom-Kind of sat back and let my dad handle it. I think she still has some preconceptions because she's said a couple ignorant things.

4. interstella

mum thinks its a phase no matter how many times I tell her ITS NOT :/
    I wouldn't dare tell my dad until I move out

5. darkestknight

Mother: "Oh no you can't be that way!! Quickly, get a girl and you are done with it!" (Denial)

Father: "Oh please it's a phase!! it is so wrong!!" (Partially in Denial)

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

They were very kind. They hugged me and said they just wanted me to be happy. They were shocked but I expected that. There was some awkwardness for a while and some misunderstandings, but I think at the moment things are pretty stable.

7. pirateninja

Mom- At first considered the possibility that it was a phase (although mainly for my sister's sake :dry:slight_smile:, but quickly accepted it and claimed that she had guessed when I was younger. She has to work with a multitude of people every day and is generally a tolerant person anyway. I was very lucky to have her. At first, even I felt weird talking to her about LGBT stuff, but now we can discuss anything with ease. :grin:

Dad- As soon as I told him, we barely talked about it. I have breached the subject to him a couple of times, but he barely acknowledges it at all. He seems to be the type that doesn't want to talk about it at all, maybe because he doesn't want to deal with it. However one thing that I have noticed is that before, he used to say a load of gay jokes (for example when someone gay was on the television he'd make a joke about them) however he doesn't anymore, which I appreciate