1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on talking to family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secretman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm very close with my mom, and feel I can discuss anything with her, but obviously it's incredibly awkward to talk about orientation. I can trust her and already know she'll accept me any way I am, but I'd like some advice.

Do you have any tips or tricks to even slightly decrease the awkwardness when discussing sexual orientation with family?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I have struggled with when telling family members. To help come out to my parents I bought a pride bracelet and a few days later I came out, and that helped a bit. You could use something like that to drop a hint before you tell them, and that may cut down on the awkwardness. Another thing I contemplated was not actually using the word gay, but I have heard mixed results from people I have talked to on that, so do whatever you think would be less awkward there. If you know your mom will be supportive no matter what too and she loves you no matter what she'll know not to make it awkward for you. Best of luck to you! (*hug*)

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just half shouted "So I'm bisexual! Have fun with that!" and walked off...

She was pretty cool with it when she caught up...I mean she said some stupid things but still it got it out of the way...