1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mnguy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so I'm not saying that we shouldn't come out, but why does it have to be such a big deal for us? I know it's not always a big deal when people come out, but I get the impression that most people think it is. Straight people don't obsess about telling family and friends that they are straight. Yes, I understand that straight is considered the default orientation. Why shouldn't I assume that they know that I'm gay? If they don't ask, why do I have to tell? Why do I think this is something that I have to make a point to tell people?

For those of you who have come out in a formal way, couldn't you have just said something like, "That guy is hot!" when you saw a hot guy? Wouldn't people get that? What is better about making a big point, regardless of method, vs. just being yourself and allowing people to get it when they get it?

For those of you who are contemplating coming out, what do you hope to get out of it? Do you think it will be better to do it in a more formal way? If so, why?

One thing I hope will happen when people find out that I'm gay is they will realize that gay people are really no different than they are. We aren't the perverted monsters that some people make us out to be. Do I really have to make a special presentation in order for them to realize this?

2. tired_of_lying411

So you haven't come out yet? Why not, if it's so easy?

My point is that it is a huge piece of information. Sometimes, it's better to give people an official statement. It's just something we have to do, I guess. For me, I needed it as much as my parents did. It's a huge thing to tell because it's not the default orientation.

I went through a phase like this a while ago, but I'm glad I said it officially. I would never have been able to just mention it off-hand. They would have turned it into a big conversation anyway, so why not say it officially?

I know, in a perfect world, people wouldn't assume anything, but that's just not the hand of cards were playing right now.

Good luck, and I'm not trying to say this is a phase for you.... I completely agree that it shouldn't be a big deal, but it is right now, in society. Hopefully things continue to get better.

3. Jerr

well

i get what you mean

i dont agree with saying "that guys HOT" as a way of comen out... you might scare the oblivios lol unless you normaly say that... i mean i wouldnt suggest it as your choice way to come out but if you say it already then its not like it matters that you just say it in front of someone

but i mean just be yourself... if someone asks you... be honist (if you want)

but just go on with your life... like normal if they wanna know they will ask...

at my school its really basicly a rare thing to find a homogay boy... (id say girsl but fuck we have 3 in highschool alone that are out and im only guy in highschool) so when a friend asked and i was honist... i didnt care but damn it SPRED... next day i was getting sooo many questions asking me... i was pretty honist... last half of the day wasnt 1st half cuz it scared me haha but yea i was honist last half and basicly i was out to anyone in question by... well... end of the week lol

if people will still think your str8 if you dont tell them... kudos to you! you can prove even more that... you dont have to be the sterio type and thats all sorts of nifty

wellll im add so yea

i wish you best of luck with any of your choices

l8rs

4. nisomer

I totally know what you're saying. I am waiting for this day, where no one really needs to "come out", but can just act normally and be themselves. However, I don't think we are, as a society, there yet. At least the older generation, I don't think. With our generation, there will probably be more people who will just be like, "Ok?" and move on, not really thinking much about it, while others will probably have more negative reactions--such as ignoring you, spreading rumors, making homophobic remarks, etc.

I do think though, that in the future, this will be the way it is, and it will be normal for any guy to say something like, "he's hot." And I guess it is okay to come out like that, and if you don't make a big deal about it, no one else really will, because in reality, it really isn't that big of a deal.

I think that one must formally come out, when you are telling someone who is close to you. In my opinion, you can't be like "he's hot" to your mom, who doesn't know that you are gay. Same with your best friend, or sibling, or anyone else you are close to. In respect for your close relationship to them, you should formally come out and tell them, otherwise they will feel like they totally missed something about you.

In a research paper I wrote last month about coming out, one of the last topics I discussed was the influences coming out has on everyone else. By coming out, you influence your parents and peers to recognize that gay people are normal people with normal lives. And with that, they will also influence others when others make homophobic remarks. They will defend their child, their sibling, their best friend. And this influence will continue on as more and more of us come out. As we all keep on coming out, we will finally one day, be able to stop coming out--for everyone. We won't have to tell anyone that we are gay because it will be natural. This is the last paragraph of my paper:

As more people speak up, there will be a greater influence on society’s understanding of homosexuality. They will understand that gays and lesbians are everywhere. They educate as teachers and principals; save lives as doctors and nurses; protect towns as police officers and fire fighters; entertain as actors and musicians; defend the country as legislators and soldiers; they are sons and daughters, moms and dads, peers and best friends. When society finally has this true knowledge of homosexuality, they will learn that there is nothing to be afraid of. They will recognize that the only aspect separating gays from straights, is the mere trait of sexuality. When this is acknowledged, young teenagers will no longer have to question their own identity. Teens like Mike Piazza will never have to go through the stressful process of coming out. With no more harassment, no more thoughts of suicide, and no more fear, homosexuals will become common aspects of this world. Two lesbians will no longer receive glares while holding hands on the street. Citizens voting for a gay congressman will not be influenced by sexuality, but by issues. Homosexuality will be so common, that when a 13-year old boy asks his male friend, “Hey, do you think she’s hot?” the other will naturally respond, “No, I think he’s hot.”