1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell a friend I completely trust?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wardrobe93, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Wardrobe93

Ive never told anyone but feel I need to!

Ive written an email to this friend (not sent it yet).

I wanted to tell my parents first but I struggle,

Is it good to come out in this way? and to a friend?

Experienced advice would be most appreciated!!

Wardrobe93 :slight_smile:

2. Pat

Pat

Absolutely. Gives your friend time to digest what he/she is reading.. and they can then make a thought out response to you. If you feel like it's the best thing, I think it's a good way. I come out this way often. I know for some people they feel like it's a cop out, but face it.. as men, we're shit when it comes to explaining emotions sometimes. If you do better when you write texts or letters in depth, then I think it's the best idea for you.

3. Gen

Gen

A common rule of thumb is to never tell anyone anything that you wouldn't tell the world. It seems as though you are planning to come out to everyone in the near future, you are just trying to figure out how you want to go about it, so in that case I think its perfectly fine.

The only time I would advise against coming out to a trusted friend is when you are in a position that the rest of those around you absolutely couldn't know for the safety of your health or environment.

4. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel like this is the right thing to do and you feel comfortable with telling your friend. Go for it. I think an email is a good way to come out as it's indirect and you can say everything you want without getting interrupted or ruining it through nerves. Also gives the person time to respond rather than putting them on the spot.

Good luck with whatever you do! Hope it goes really well!

5. kresukun

I told my friend on skype just about a week ago and have not looked back since. He was accepting and we even joked about it, stuff like saying he kinda knew because of my voice. When I did tell him I was nervous as hell, but as time has moved forward I feel a lot more relaxed not just talking to him, but in my life.

We still talk every other day and the topic hasn't come up since. As long as you feel ready, then who am I to change what you want? It will get better.