1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theatertennis17, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Theatertennis17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the past two weeks, I have felt like I wanted to tell my parents that I'm gay. I was all ready to do it, then my brother did something really stupid and it ended up with him getting kicked out of the house and my parents and I not having contact with him for almost a week now. Also, my dad is suppose to go in for surgery in a couple weeks. I really want to tell them, but now just doesn't seem like the right time to say anything. When is a good time to tell them?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends on soooo much.

1. Why do you want them to know.
    2. What is there usual opinion on LGBT stuff
    3. What did your brother do and how have they been since then

3. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dont rush it, talk often, talk about lots of things to test the waters. You will know when you need to jump in. It is a serious and dramatic thing, so wait for the right time.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! There are good and better times to come out. Given what has happened with your brother and the fact that your dad is going for surgery, it is possible that your parents are not in the space at the moment to sit down and listen to you when you come out to them. I'd suggest that you wait a bit, unless you find a good time where you know that they have the time to listen to you. A time with less distractions or worries might be better.

5. bscott92

Yes, I would suggest waiting until things are a little calmer around the house. If you catch them at the wrong time, it could end poorly when otherwise it wouldn't. Let things cool down a bit, and then tell them.

6. Theatertennis17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to tell them because I'm tired of lying to them. Usually my parents seem pretty supportive of LGBT stuff, I mean, my mom is always talking about if I or my brother were gay she would be fine with it. And I don't feel somfortable saying what my brother did.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I tell everyone, unless they ask you "son, are you gay?" you are not lying to them!

8. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is a lot of emotional baggage going on in your family right now. First, you did not elaborate and I am not asking you to, but your brother was asked to leave. I am unsure if this is a permanent or temporary departure. Second, your father is scheduled for some type of surgical operation. Third, with all the stress of your family, if you were to go to your mom and dad and say I am gay, it would not register. Their response may be that's nice son. You have done the same thing to your parents. You are engrossed in a book, video game, or phone call. Something other than being mentally, physically and emotionally engaged with family at the time. Your family asks you a question and you say uhuh or sure. Later, you have no recollection of the conversation but are reminded that you agreed to do something. This is exactly where your mom and dad are now. They are emotionally, physically, and mentally detached. You can tell them you are gay now. But the words are not sticking, the emotion has not hit them yet. Wait! Let the waters calm around your dad's health issues. Also, wait to see what happens to your sibling. Then when things are calm, and more stable, you can come out. This does not stop you from coming out . You can come out in other CALM relationships. I would just wait until the whirlwind subsides a little bit at least on the immediate family side. Your friends, colleagues, class mates, if you choose, and it is calm now - go for it!