1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling your mom you're trans

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cynder, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Cynder

Any advice or ideas? I have really been wanting to come out to my mom, but I have no idea how. She was pretty supportive when I told her I was bisexual, but I feel that this is very different. She already thinks tha I look to much like a boy, and maybe me coming out will explain it and she will understand me better? Or maybe she will be really upset and confused, and tell m I'm not... But I really don't know...

Also, I'd only be coming out to her, not my step dad, step brother, or my father, so she wouldn't be calling me he or by a male name or anything, so would it be worth the risk to tell her now, really?

2. Emberblaze

Heya dude,

Me not being trans, it can't exactly say I know how it feels to be in your situation. But, I can still help. I'd advise you plan deeply on how you're going to tell her about your gender, because I think it's even harder for parents to digest this than your orientation. It's a big change ya know? You have your whole life to think about it and accept it, so keep that in consideration when you tell your mom.

You gotta break it to her gently so that she has time to absorb it. I'd say write down a general idea of what you want to say as a way of organizing your thoughts and not forgetting to mention important feelings.

I know this is a very general answer but I hope I helped you some. Good luck man and keep us updated on what happens

3. RainbowScratch

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm gay and i feel like i might be trans so Just go for it if your mom was very supportive about you coming out bi then I don't see why she would have an issue with you coming out trans...