1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom didn't believe me (transgender)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SoX, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SoX

SoX

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys, I am 18 years old and just came out as transgender (I like this term right now because of the vagueness) to my mom this afternoon. We have always been very close and she loves me very much (and I her). I have already found a therapist to talk to at my college.
    Anyways, I was very upset today (a lot of stress this summer). I was sitting in my room listening to Green Day (of course haha), and I was just crying. My mom came into yell at me to turn my music down and saw me crying. Of course she was concerned and persistent. She wouldn't leave till she found out what was wrong (and lord knows I can't lie), so I told her the whole deal... I am transgender. I explained what that meant, and she said, oh well your going through a point in your life where you are trying to figure out who you are. Now-a-days LGBT issues aren't considered as bad, and its easy to question these things. And she couldn't understand why I was feeling this way (I don't blame her... I couldn't really explain it to her) She said I wasn't very feminine, and thought I must just be having homosexual feelings, and that would explain why I thought I was a girl. I tried to tell her that sexuality and gender were separate, but I think she is sticking with that theory. I told her I only like girls when she asked... I didn't want her to have to wrap her mind around me being transgender and pansexual at the same time! haha
    I'm pretty much just venting, but I don't know how to explain to her that I have felt these feelings since I was 5! She was supportive, and said she would go to therapy with me. I just wish I could convince her... because I honestly don't identify as a girly girl. I don't understand why natal girls can be tomboys, and I can't! :confused:

Thanks for reading, it was a long one :slight_smile:

2. Martjain

Hey, congrats on telling her! It takes great courage to tell family about one's orientation and gender. It's good that you vent, but you need to understand that you mom may be very supportive (she sounds so, and that's awesome) but she may not understand a thing about gender or trans* people. Let alone differentiating between gender and orientation.
    You need to be patient cause it may take her a while to get used to this new information and learning new things.
    Of course, don't be down, you have her support and that is more than many can get when coming out :slight_smile:
    Hugs (*hug*) And hang in there!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read what you said from the point of view of my own mum. Something I'm practicing as part of an empathy experiment. I hope you don't mind, maybe it'll help!

"My son just said he's transgender. The heck does transgender mean. Uh oh I missed whatever that was. Think's he's a girl. Why would he think that!? He acts like a boy...maybe he's gay? Oh heck, is he gay? Got to be supportive! Ok, gay son, supportive! Ok support speech. "You're going through a point in your life where you are trying to figure out who you are..." That sounds convincing I think...Oh, he said something else. "Maybe you just like guys and feel that if you were a girl that would be more normal" I THINK that was supportive. I mean if he's scared of admitting he's gay why wouldn't he wish he was a girl!"

If I said that what you posted to my mum, I am fairly certain that is how her thoughts would go...actually if I'm being honest there would be quite a bit more trans-intolerance in there but since your mum seems supportive (if a little confused) I felt the need to omit it from mine!

Anyway, there are people far better qualified than me to tell you the ins-and-outs of how to explain transgender issues to your mum, I can say reasonably soundly that your mum sounds like she is trying really hard to process what must be a fairly mindblowing thing to hear as gently as possible. It sounds like what your mum has done here is heard what you said and immediately realised she can't handle it all at once and tried to down-size the issue to something she could deal with. It seems your mum could handle you being gay or I doubt she would have suggested that as an alternative...

Incidentally, and someone may disagree with me, but I personally wouldn't take her up on her offer of attending therapy with you...maybe tell her to speak to someone on her own or ask the therapist at college to help you figure out ways to communicate the issue with her better, but I can't think of many things I personally would find more difficult to do than to do a therapy session with my mum listening to every word...

4. SoX

SoX

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Martjain (*hug*)...
    ElliaOtaku, I can imagine those exact thoughts running through her mind haha :slight_smile: I did decline her offer to come to therapy, but suggested she find someone local to talk to.

I've been dealing with this my whole life, so sometimes its hard to realize what its like when I throw this at someone! (especially someone so close)

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She seems to be taking it rather well though all things considered.

Seeing others points of view is seriously hard for things you take for granted, but you pick it up! If you decide to try and talk to her about it again, you could ask her to ask you everything she doesn't understand or to tell her exactly what she thinks you've said.

(I realise it's not QUITE the same but) When I told my mum I'm bi, her immediate thought was that I had a crush on a girl and a guy at the same time, which led to her thinking that I couldn't ever have a long term relationship (she thought your tastes just changed every so often). If your mum has never spent much time thinking about it, and I'm betting like most people she hasn't, then she's going to have all KINDS of weird ideas about what transgender actually means. You picked up on one of them, she seems to think that it might be a 'next step' from homosexuality. Find out what she thinks she knows then you have something to work with when you try and explain to her what's in your head.

6. SoX

SoX

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That makes sense. The problem is I leave for school at the end of this week... not the greatest timing to tell her, but what can you do! I kind of want her to soak it in, but I also don't want her to get the wrong idea... I was thinking about maybe giving her an article or something to read (for parents of transgender kids), and maybe ask if she has any questions in a week or so. Does that sound like a good idea?

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It couldn't hurt! If you give her an article it should show her that your serious enough about it to have looked something up. If she still doesn't believe you afterwards she might at least be a bit better equipped to deal with it next time it gets brought up!