1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MerBear

I don't know the best way, to come out to my friends....The closest thing, I could think of is Facebook. Should I do that? because I can't do it obviously in person. everyone kept asking me if i was gay or not and I always declined it without thought but i guess, now I should come out. I know that coming out wouldn't make much of a difference and obviously nobody would really give a fuck so would it be worth it?

Anyways, There are some worries, that come in my mind when coming out. Some of my friends ...I don't know but I want them to take me seriously. I'm really worried some people aren't going to believe me because of my past with guys. Everyone had said I was
    'boy crazy' and if i came out as lesbian, I just feel like...they wouldn't believe me at all, and I just really would appreciate it if they did believe me because I don't know....Its one big worry of mine.

If i do come out on facebook, what should I include in my post? I'm not sure if it should be short and sweet and or long and genuine

I'm so scared to do this but i think it might make things easier...should I do it? and if so...How?

2. BlueLines

I think in person would be best in all honesty. Sometimes electronic communication doesn't hold the same weight as a serious eye to eye conversation. Especially if your worried about them believing you. Personally I have always been big on discussing important things in person with my friends and keeping the texting and e-stuff for lighter hearted banter.

3. MerBear

I can't do it in person. I just can't. My anxiety will shoot through the roof...and just obliterate. I can't, I just find it easier for me to do it through facebook. I mean, i can't....do it person and some of this is not for my friends but other family members who live somewhere else

and NO, I can't wear a rainbow bracelet because I can't afford it for one and No person assumes, a girl is gay if she wears one...Only a guy. Plenty of girls here in my school wear rainbow shit, not because they are gay but because they think its pretty but if a guy wears it then they will assume he is gay

#3 MerBear, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. biggayguy

Maybe you should do it subtly. Try something like joining the Ellen Degeneres fan page and PFLAG.

5. MerBear

They usually only look at my status, not what I like on facebook.

6. Islander

You could text them rather than saying it face to face? If you update your facebook status, then it's likely that people will assume that someone's messing around on your account. They might be upset if you don't tell them directly and feel a bit neglected.

7. BlueLines

Do whatever your comfortable with then, as far as content for the post I would just make sure it seems serious. A pm might be better then a wall post. I understand the issue with anxiety though, it took me a very long time just to come out to my best friend. but my anxiety is one of the many reasons I have not and will not come out to my parents. As far as people you cant meet in person a phone call is always good too, but I know that doesn't help much on the anxiety side of things. I wish I could give you better advice.

8. MerBear

Why is coming out on facebook just a horrible idea? I mean, it doesn't make it any less genuine. God forbid, I try to come out in a different way

9. Niko

Coming out on Facebook just isn't as personal is all. But I guess it'd be like quickly ripping the band-aid off. You get it out of the way and answer their questions after the fact. It's not a terrible idea, because I know how hard it is to actually get the words out in person...it just doesn't happen, or the time isn't right.

I say go for it, but be prepared for everyone to know, not just your friends. It's possible that your parents may find out, if you're not out to them already.

10. MerBear

My dad isn't on my facebook and neither is my sister. My mom is dead so.
    I mean, Its personal to me, well for what its worth, thats how I am. I'm more myself online than I am in real life. everyone knows, Im a scaredy cat so hopefully, this will show that, this is truly genuine

and how is this not personal? if your giving a personal confession and a personal statement, i mean, even if i said in people's face....they might not even take me seriously.

11. RainbowMan

I say go for it! I was planning on doing it on Facebook whenever I decide to as well, accompanied by a loonnnggg blog post that I've drafted (but am not happy with, ever the revisionist me). Each person comes out in their own way, and if Facebook is the right way for you, then so be it. Don't let anyone tell you it's impersonal, if it's you then it's you!

12. MerBear

Okay, ..thanks....Im just not sure what I should include.....and if it should be long...?

13. you could just change your interested in and see if anyone notices, im pretty sure most wont lol so youll probably be pretty unnoticed

14. MerBear

15. person57

I think you should do what ever you feel most comfortable with:slight_smile:

16. MerBear

Thanks, I just don't know what I should put..

17. eatsleepclimb

Maybe you could put something that sort of hints it instead of just flat out saying that you're gay, if that makes it better? Like mentioning a celeb crush or something. (of course if you are comfortable just saying it too that's fine)

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I plan to put,
    -------------------------------------------
    Breaking News: I am gay. That is all.
    -------------------------------------------
    That's it. Short, sweet, and to the point.

19. MerBear

I was going to put

"The awkward moment when you realize your lesbian..."

hahaha

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    omg that is totes perfect or "So the lesbian vampire asked me if she could come next month and I said yes" xD

In any case, let us know how it goes :grin: