1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my roommates right away?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FloatingPiano, Aug 21, 2013.

1. FloatingPiano

Hello! So, I'm moving into college next Thursday, and I was wondering what I should do about letting my roommates know I'm into girls.

I know they will probably be accepting, as the college I'm attending is a very liberal, LGBT friendly art school. If they were really against gays, I don't think they would have committed to going there since it's a big part of the campus community, lol.

So, I was just wondering if I should bring it up right away, or wait and bring it up later in the game? And, no matter when I decide to tell them, how can I do it in a casual manner? I don't want to make a big deal about it.

Any advice would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Data

Data Guest

Oh, how about buying a little mini rainbow flag and leave out in the open. You know how the make little 3"x5" flags on sticks? Or you could get a 3'x5' big flag and leave it folded up on your desk or something. I doubt anyone who saw a rainbow flag on your desk would doubt your gayness. If you get the big flag, you could wait till everyone's there and hold it up and say "I wonder if I should hang this?" Then they'll say "Oh is that they gay flag or something?" HAHAHA

That's my suggestion!

3. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was going to say something similar. I think as soon as i move out, (and my parents stop pestering me) i will buy a pride flag and hang it in my room or something.

That way they can guess or start a conversation without you saying anything about it.

(just dont hang it in your closet :wink: )

4. Ritor365

1) Get there before anyone else.

2) Hide in closet.

3) Once all are present, casually walk out of closet wearing a rainbow cape.

JK, x) But in all seriousness I'd say just bring it up casually. Like others have suggested, get a small rainbow flag and leave it out for assumption or queries. Or once everyone's there and you've introduced yourselves, say "I really hope there isn't any issues, but I'm gay." (Or something like that...that was bad wording lol).

5. FloatingPiano

Haha, I like this flag idea! :grin: Would be a great conversation starter and easy to make. :slight_smile:

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is amazing. Can someone make a hidden camera video on this?

7. Emberblaze

Yeah I think it's best, and having something lgbt related to have hanging in your room may be a good idea. heh you don't even have to buy anything, maybe draw the little stick figure thing that has two male stick figures holding hands, two females, and two heteros and it says love under all of em.

But I think it's always best to come out to new people as soon as possible (don't seem frantic about it or anything) but the quicker you're out, the less pain it'll be on you if you really bond and create a strong link with the people.

8. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm gonna steal this idea of getting a small rainbow flag and keeping it in my dorm! I'm also moving to college in about a week to a super liberal, lgtbq friendly school. I'm not too comfortable with actually being the first to bring it up to people, but if you are, then maybe you should bring it up in a simple "Hey, I just wanted to make sure, I'm a lesbian, I hope there's not a problem with that." or something along those lines.

9. Average Joe

Coolest coming out idea I've heard in months. Hands down.

@FloatingPiano

If that college is really as LGBT friendly as you say I would come out right away to get it out of the way :slight_smile:.