1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm such a loser

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hepcat, May 18, 2008.

1. Hepcat

Ok, I'm sorry in advance for this thread and I'm sorry to all people on the site I've sort of become friends with.

Lately I've just been so fucked up in the head. I've been feeling quite low and I've had the feeling that everything I do and say irritates everyone around me and the same with people online too. Even when common sense says that everyone isn't annoyed with me I can't help feeling like a totally pathetic asshole. Basically, since all my friends are at uni getting on with their lives I'm just working 5 days a week and have been trying to plan my trip, which looks less and less likely with every passing day. Also a few days ago I got a message that the people my parents were adamant would love to have me stay with them don't want me for more than 10 days, when I said that's fine, they replied by telling me that it's 10 days maximum and it's not definite (as if they thought I was trying to ask to stay for longer when I wasn't), also that I should make other arrangements instead of staying with them. I know I shouldn't think like this but I get the feeling that they really don't want me staying with them. :frowning2:

I am also supposed to be phoning the British Embassy in Wellington about whether I should apply for a working visa but I'm just too nervous to do it. After I went to Auckland last week to talk to the people there about it they said they couldn't answer any questions about the visa and for that I have to go to Wellington. So all they did was photograph and fingerprint me. :bang:

I can't even post on the forums cause I feel like everything I write on here just makes people think I'm pathetic. I can't talk to my friends on MSN cause I feel like they're only nice to me out of pity. Bah, I don't even know why I'm writing this here. My mind is just so messed up at the moment and all I can think about is how much of a shit head I am. Sorry. Anyway it's 5:40am and I'm late for work.

:icon_sad:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you slip any further down this slide, do go see your doctor. Obsessing over negative thoughts is a major warning sign of depression, and if that's what's going on, it's going to be real tough to claw your way back to normalcy without some help. Of course, that's when the depression starts weighing against you - you may think "Why bother?" or "It'll just make people hate me more." When I'm in the worst points of my depression, I have to operate on faith a lot of the time. I have to trust that although I think life is useless, and nothing matters, and whatever else, that I STILL have to get up and go to work and continue on with my life. So go on faith if you have to, but go. Go see the doctor, tell him what you've been experiencing, and get some tests done.

Most people don't have "pity friends". If they're friends with somebody, even on IM, it's because they LIKE them. Start enlisting some help. You don't have to overstate your case, or ask for pity. But let them know what's going on. That you're hitting a rough time mentally/emotionally, and it's affecting various aspects of your life. I've found that people are quite willing to offer help and support, but they have to know that it's needed.

Good luck to you. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awww....hey I can't really give you any advice unfortunately, I'll leave that to other people who are far better at it than myself but

I really hope you'll find a way to feel a bit better (*hug*)

And no, posting on the forums does not make you look pathetic.

(*hug*)

4. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey.... first of all .... (*hug*) I'm sorry you are feeling so rubbish. I'm sure no one thinks your being pathetic. Everyone feels low at some point - this doesn't make you pathetic, just human really.
    Common sense is probably right here, although it is really hard when your head is telling you all this rubbish - don't forget there are lots of people who care for you. Maybe try talking to some of your friends about it?
    Just try and stay positive... make time for the things you enjoy doing and try not to get too bogged down with everything.
    I really hope you feel better soon!! Feel free to PM me if you ever want a chat :slight_smile:
    Sorry not really much advice but yer.. if you ever want to talk feel free!

5. acorn7

Don't be too hard on yourself... you're clearly down, so it's normal you feel like crap and think everyone finds you pathetic, but that's just a false perception. You certainly don't annoy anyone here, and you don't have to apologize for asking for help — that's what this forum's for :slight_smile:

I can't give you specific advice, other than don't give up and try to look at things from a bigger perspective. I'm sure you'll see it's not all that bad.

6. Alex

Im kinda bad at giving advice. So ill just say that you should go talk to someone, and that you are not pathetic in any way by posting here.
    Hope you will be better soon :slight_smile:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

First of all, I don't think that anyone thinks that you are pathetic. We all have sometimes the feeling that nothing that we say (or do for that matter) makes sense. There were times when I thought that no matter what I say irritates or bothers my friends. But that was all just in my head. Remember that friends will always be talking with you. They are talking with you because they enjoy your company and have come to like you for you.

I hope your trip works out at the end. Even though the people with whom you are supposed to be staying have indicated that you might not be able to stay with them for the full 10 days that does not mean that they don't want you with them. Maybe something came up and as a result their plans have changed. But if you really feel that you are no longer welcome there, you could make some alternative arrangements and just thank them for the offer and just stay somewhere else.

Cheer up. Don't get all down. No worries, all things have a way of working out at the end. If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.

8. I've felt the same way many times. You're not pathetic. (*hug*) I hope you feel better soon. ~megan~

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thing to toss in.

Whenever I felt really down on myself, I always thought it was because everyone else was better than me. They all seemed to have it all together. They seemed comfortable and happy all the time. I assumed they never had to agonize over things, or think that people didn't like them, or worry about what other people think.

Ends up they do. All of them. We're all just a bunch of insecurities and problems and issues wrapped up in human skin. Even the cool kids, even those that look totally at peace. They wonder, They worry. They're just like you and me. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly don't feel bad about posting how you're feeling, none of us think you're pathetic, I'd rather you post if you're feeling down because then you'll get great advice like in the above posts.

Recently I've been in a similar state of mind. I think talking about it is a good idea, try to get out of this paranoid state of mind, because it's just paranoia. Your friends are your friends, I think you need to try to talk to them more, maybe tell them how you're feeling, it will reaffirm the friendship. And as for the people you were hoping to stay with, there probably is a legitimate reason for you being unable to stay with them for longer than 10 days, and it's a good idea to have other accomodation arranged as a back up. That's all it is, I'm sure they'll be very welcoming

Don't be nervous about making the phonecall to the embassy, just get it over with, I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions which should ease your worries. And keep posting, I hope you feel better

11. Defraction

Don't feel pathetic! Seriously, everyone has their moments. This is the place where you can let it out and get some advice. :grin:

I'm also paranoid about coming across as an idiot when I talk, and that people just couldn't care less and want to find the nearest exit. But to be honest, I think lately I've desensitized myself to how I come across to other people. That's helped with my confidence and if people don't want to accept me then so be it.

I can't really say anything about moving away and stuff... since I've never left the UK thus far.

If you think you sound pathetic or silly or whatever as you talk to people, which may put people off, then try to lessen it down. It's all down to how confident you are with yourself, I suppose. I am/was in the same sort of predicament and every now and then I'll think about how pathetic I was at a particular time and it'll dawn on me for a bit. But I just lift my head up and think "I am who I am, screw what you all think". It sounds cliché but it helps me. :grin:

But major huggage, 'cuz you need it. (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

12. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hepcat!!! (*hug*) You're not pathetic!!! You're really cool!!! (*hug*)

I hope you feel better soon...

13. JSG

JSG Guest

You're awesome !! :grin:
    I really like talking to you on msn, you can talk to me anytime
    I don't think you're pathetic at all

14. jenko83

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey hepcap

im a new member here and i joined cos i needed an outlet, dont think you are pathetic for venting here, just by seeing the amount of response posts you should realise you are not alone and that many of us feel the same.

sometimes life can be tough and you never seem to get a break, im going through a 'if it could go wrong, it will' kinda stage but im trying to stay postive because its all i can do.

fight the good fight and dont give up.

you know there are many people here to talk to in ure times of need

chin up

15. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As the others have said, no one thinks anybody posting here is pathetic. As Lex said, don't look at others and wish you were like them. Everybody has their own problems. Be positive and don't imagine the worst. And keep posting/chatting with your friends. I'm sure they would like to know what you're going through. Talk to them. They may be able to help.

16. TriBi

Best advice I can give is 'listen to what everyone is saying'...ESPECIALLY Lex.(*hug*)

17. Hepcat

Thanks so much to everyone. I really wasn't expecting this many responses, and being the pedantic person I am my first instinct is to reply to every one individually but that would make my post even longer than it's going to be.

First I just want to say that after I made that post I went straight out the door into the pitch black and cold to run for half an hour to work. And I suppose it's just as well cause otherwise I'd probably have deleted the topic a little while after making it. I'd actually tried starting this topic 4 or 5 times in the last few days but I kept changing my mind and just exiting the browser.

Lex, thanks for the advice but going to see a doctor is that last thing I need. If I were to go to the doctor and he said I'm depressed then I wouldn't be allowed to go to Europe and then I really would have nothing left to live for. I'm not always depressed, and usually it's not anything in particular that sets me feeling this way, I can be fine for weeks and then suddenly nothing seems to be working and I just want to fade away.

Funnily enough, I always pretend to be happy around my friends, no matter how bad I was feeling I always have a smile on my face and was making jokes. At work too, I have a reputation for always being happy, polite and impossible to anger, since I never complain. But sometimes it is just a false smile, I'll be smiling when actually in my mind I'm wishing that the roof will just crash down on top of me or I'm thinking something like 'What the fuck are you rambling about? You look and sound like such a complete buffoon, just shut up before they realise how stupid you sound'

(I'll apologise now for the excruciatingly long post)

Lately I've been thinking about when all these cycles started. And I think it was around when I was 15. When I was 14 I knew I was gay and I remember sitting in Science thinking to myself that I'd come out to everyone before my 15th birthday. When my birthday came and went I just sort of didn't bother, and although I had a crush on a guy I just sort of went on and pushed all thoughts of coming out to the back of my mind. I never tried dating a girl or anything but I was always concious of everything I did and said. In 2006 however I started to get really depressed at times. Around August I think it was, 3 teachers from my school phoned my parents to ask if everything was ok with me at home cause I'd been looking really exhausted and seemed unhappy, I was going through a rather bad patch at that time. My parents being the idiots they are assumed that it must be some illness I'd come down with, and I told them I was in perfect health but they took me to the doctor who said I was fine and then my mother forced me to have a blood test which also said I was fine. So they dropped the subject. My teachers were all telling me how I was about to fail the year if I kept going as I was.

Then, just as I started contemplating suicide, the school trip to Europe arrived (I'd been saving all the money from my job since I was 15 for the school trip cause my parents couldn't afford it). So I went on that and had a blast, it was so great. It was literally like another world, a new place that I didn't know and didn't know me. It was then that I knew I MUST travel. I didn't sleep at all on the 24 hour flight to Paris and we arrived at 6am, we had a full day and by the end of it I was still full of energy, I woke up at 6am the next day before everyone else. For most of the trip I was up at 5 or 6 am and got to sleep around 12am. I didn't sleep on the 13 and 11 hour bus trips, nor did I sleep on the flight home. Then I got back to Rotorua, after not sleeping on the 3 hour car ride back here from Auckland where I was picked up by my friend's dad cause my parents weren't home.

I got home, let myself in, dumped my stuff and then after about 3 days of really wanting to tell people about the trip I started getting really depressed. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my parents kept telling me they didn't have time to look at my photographs or talk to me about it. Although I've never had anything in common with my parents. The only family member I would ever feel comfortable talking to is my grandfather, and I think he's the only person I know who truly understands me. He's known I'm gay for years, he's the only one who knows the true reason I want to go to Europe so badly is cause I need to get away from everyone and everything here (and funnily enough he's the only one who isn't opposing my trip). I got back to school and although I was extremely depressed for a week or so after getting back, I suddenly came right for the next month or so and passed my exams when everyone had been telling me I was going to fail. I didn't pass very well, but I passed.

Anyway, so that was 2006, 2007 was total shit. I started off so happy, for no real reason, I was just extremely happy, and all through last year I seemed to swing from being very happy to extremely depressed. A few weeks before my end of year exams I thought things were going great, nobody was telling me I was going to fail this year, but in the last week of school my mood plumeted and I flunked every exam except French, which was the last exam 2 weeks after the first. So that meant that I can't go to uni cause I didn't even meet the minimum requirements, technically I'm not even literate. So now that I think about it, my school marks were extremely good when I was 13 and 14, then they began a steady slide downwards....

I've always just tried not to think about it too much but at times like this the thought of how pathetic my life is just dominates my thinking. Not only do I have terrible anxiety, I feel totally lonely, it wasn't until I signed up to EC that I began thinking about just how lonely I have been. I can't even trust my best friends to tell them when I'm feeling sad, which says a lot about me as a person. It seems like I've failed at everything I've tried to do, the Music teacher at school managed to demolish my self confidence completely, now I can't even practice playing the trumpet while someone else is in the house, let alone do a performance. My parents can't afford my music lessons with my tutor anymore anyway. I quit the 2 bands I was in because I can't bear listening to the putrid sounds I make, let alone the fact that other people can hear too.

I'm so paranoid about acting differently, if I try and act confidently I know my parents will make a big deal about it. Right now all my life consists of is waking up, sitting at my computer just wasting time until I need to leave for work. All I'm doing is working, I've been saving all my money since February 2007 and I know that if I can just get out of here to somewhere new where nobody knows me then I can start afresh. All my friends are at university now, and so this trip is the only thing I have that shows I'm not completely useless. Although with all these difficulties in organising it I think it's now painfully obvious to everyone that I really am clueless and a hopeless organiser, cause I've been saying I want to leave on the 5th of June but with all these problems coming up it probably won't be until July. :bang:

I can't help wondering whether I would still have all these mental issues if I'd just come out when I was 14 or 15 like I'd intended to.

Sorry for blurting all that out, I've actually never said all of that before. There's quite a bit more I could add but I'm already showing how much of a fruit cake I am and I doubt anyone is really wanting to read any more. I was intending to reply to what everyone said but I got a bit rambly. :confused:
    Sorry, my mind is such a mess at the moment, it's late, I've had a long day and I'm getting up at 5am tomorrow so I'm going to bed now before I reread what I've written and decide I'd rather delete it all. :sleep:

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, your post strengthens my conviction that you're suffering from depression.

One of the things that I have to work on when I'm depressed is what are called "coping skills". Things to help get me through the toughest times. There aren't any set things that work for everybody, but many of them work for a good percentage of us. And one of the main things is "shake things up". This can mean going to a new restaurant, ordering new foods, reading new types of books, watching different TV shows and movies, taking a new way to work, you name it. Doing so gives the brain something new to work on, and helps pull it away from the negative stuff.

Your trip to Europe was, most likely, the ultimate shake-up. New continent, new people, new place to stay, new experiences every day. It's not too surprising you not only came out of the depression, but bounced way into the manic category. :slight_smile:

I'm not going to insist you go to the doctor now - you know what you're up against, and if you can handle it. But I would urge you to do the following things:

* If it ends up the trip does get cancelled, as you fear it might, immediately go to Plan B and see your doctor.
    * If the trip does come off, have a great time. But when you come back, again, see your doctor. Even if, as is likely, you're not depressed right then. Let him know the cycle you've been in, and make a plan to see him again if things start falling apart again.
    * Do work on those "coping skills". None of these will cure the depression, or make it go away, but it'll make the toughest times a bit easier. Start with the simple "shaking things up" that I listed above. If you want to know more, look online, or PM me, and I can list a few that worked for me (and a couple that didn't - you may be different).

Good luck.

Lex

19. Hepcat

Thanks Lex and everyone again. I've been feeling much better today. Although I feel a bit embarrassed about this now. :icon_redf

As for coping skills usually I just listen to music or watch documentaries/movies/tv, or play Doomsday or another game which I can immerse myself in. And that's about it. Sometimes I'll read history books too but I have trouble concentrating on it when I'm depressed.

Oh and I'm intending to be in Europe for 6 months to 1 year. My grandfather thinks I'll find someone over there and end up staying but I doubt it. He joined the Dutch army when he was 18 and after serving in Indonesia he flew to NZ, got my grandmother pregnant and has never left here since. :lol:

The last time I talked to him about my trip I got the impression that he doesn't ever expect to see me again once I leave, either because I won't come back or he won't be around when I do. That was why I felt I had to come out to him at least before I went.

Anyway I'm rambing again...
    Usually I just wait until the depressed mood passes, cause it always does, and I'm going to try and make an effort to post more on the forum, though it still is really hard for me to do so, I'm always so paranoid about people misinterpreting my posts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks again everyone. You're all awesome!
    (&&&)

20. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First of all, you're welcome. We all love to help everybody where we can.

Secondly, there's no need to be embarrassed..you've done very well posting what you have. By being brave and posting (and it can take bravery at times) you've allowed EC to help and advise you. That's what we're all about.

(*hug*)