1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College application wants to out me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ByTheSea, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ByTheSea

I'm a senior in high school and I'm starting the stressful college application process. I've been going through the Common App and filling out questions for each of the colleges I'm applying to. I'm not going to give the name of this specific college here, but let's just say its often ranked as the most gay-friendly schools in the country (but that's not why I'm applying to it). The school straight-out asks you if you're gay in the application. I understand why they're doing it, but I don't really think its fair to anyone that has parents that will forcibly check to make sure everything is right on the application. There are three choices to the question: Yes, No, and I prefer not to answer.

I'm not out to my parents and I don't want to lie on the application either. I think I'm going to put "I prefer not to answer" and hope that they won't see the question. I mean its not like I'm answering yes, but most straight people will just answer no to the question without a problem. I just know my parents and they will probably want to check everything with me.

I know I have to come out to my parents eventually, but this just isn't the right time. There are too many things going on in my life and their lives to be worrying about this right now.

Am I doing the right thing?

2. Just Jess

If they ask I would just be honest and say "I don't think they should be asking that question on an application and it would be wrong of me to answer".

3. monotone

Not sure how college applications in the US work, but can you contact the school to explain your situation?

4. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Why are they asking about your sexual orientation? Is it a sort of affirmative action thing? If so, just answer "yes", and if your parens ask, tell them you answered that way to have a better shot at getting in. :wink:

5. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tough situation, but lying is not the way to go. I think that the way you chose is a good way to go, or you could also contact the school. By any chance would you be able to be say the school's name? Or PM it, but I'm starting to look at colleges so i'd like to know about any gay-friendly schools.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's like ethnicity, level of education, and income bracket on surveys. They begrudgingly have "decline to answer" as an option. I decline to answer those questions.

Schools don't need a population count on sexual orientation. They somehow know their demographics and only need to address diversity in general terms in their literature, or by referring to a large number of GLBT friendly organizations on campus. Either way, American now knows which are GLBT friendly schools, and which aren't. It's on most people's homepages at least once a month. They don't need to proclaim that 3,276 out of the student body of 14,938 is GLBT. What's next? A pie chart of preferred sexual positions for that hypothetical 3,276?

7. Pat

Pat

That's...pretty disturbing. I don't know why they'd assume that everyone has come out already or something.. If you're still dependent on your parents, I would recommend selecting No. If you don't think they'd see it, just say you'd prefer not to answer, but know that it's the same thing as saying Yes... If I were you, I'd call up to that damn college and let them know how ridiculous of a question that is. I don't give a damn if they're trying to be diverse or not, they have to take into consideration that not everyone can answer a question like that at that stage of their lives. I would call the school and see if they can send you an application that doesn't include that question or maybe confide in a counselor there that you are gay and you're not ready to let your parents know that.

8. ByTheSea

I could contact them, but I don't think they can do anything about it. They probably wouldn't be able to take the question off for just one person (you can't skip over it).
    For anyone that doesn't know, the Common App is a website the most colleges are now using in the US. It is easier because you only have to fill out your basic information once, unless there are questions specific to a college.

Adi, in the question they say that they "value a diversity of background, thought, perspectives, and work" to create a welcoming environment. It's well-known that there are A LOT of gay students there. Maybe they need more straight students! :lol: Just kidding.

Unfortunately I can't PM yet... The reason I'm not saying it is that I don't want their name to show up in any searches linked to this thread. I loved the school when I visited and I don't want them to get in trouble. BUT they are a school dedicated to the arts and communications. Their name starts with an E and ends with an N. They're located in a large well-known city in Massachusetts.

Yeah I'm putting the "prefer not to answer" option. There's a chance my parents won't even look over that section anyway, especially since I have a counselor helping me with my applications.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. I'm sure they've seen "decline to state," or even seen it left blank, and it wasn't weighed in the admissions decision. They already know it's a loaded question of sorts.

I hope this is NOT a public American university. I couldn't imagine that.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wouldn't the bolded be quite important in a survey for statistical purposes? Survey's are usually anonymous, and even if they weren't, why would one not answer those questions? Shame?

Come on. This reminds me of those people who scream "why don't gays just keep it to themselves?" whenever a celebrity comes out. Stating one's sexual orientation is not the same thing as stating what sexual positions one likes in the bedroom.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2013 at 06:02 PM ----------

I still say you should go with the "I'm pretending to be gay to get into college" thing. It seems practical to lie about something like that on a college application thingy. (or don't people do that in America? :S)

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if this would work... But does the system let you enter the application, and allow you to go back and make changes later before submitting? That is, could I fill it out Monday, and review Tuesday before clicking "submit?" If so, you could select "no" and have your parents look it over. That way, there will be zero discussion about "I don't want to answer." Then get rid of them, and change the answer to either "I don't want to answer" or "yes" and hit "submit."

Another thought: is it possible to arrange to run this application through, and "forget" to show it? (I assume you've thought of this, but one never knows.)

You might get in contact with the college. They might not be able to modify the application system, but they might have preferred way of dealing with it. If nothing else, they really should know--if they don't already--that this question can cause a huge amount of trouble.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2013 at 08:08 AM ----------

You can do a wall post. Click on the user name on the left, and select "View Public Profile" in the menu that shows up.

The profile includes the wall.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I THINK the wall posts should not appear on a Google search. The profiles require you to be a logged in user to access.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not that. The OP is, what, 17 or 18. She's under stress. She's filling out various applications. She's trying to make a major decision.

Clearly, it's for marketing purposes or for specific needs. If you answer those questions on surveys such as income or education, then you get a barrage of literature aimed at your demographic. Maybe, in college, she'll get a knock on her door saying "Hey, we got a list of students' sexual preferences, would you like to join our club?" I mean, that's NOT likely going to happen. It might come via a generic e-mail. Freshman year is a time to absorb the landscape and figure out what extracurricular stuff interests you. She's probably a smart young lady and can determine that on her own.

I bring this up because one of my college friends has a daughter who started college last year at an all-women school and was already hit with culture shock. It's supposed to be a liberal school, and she has encountered resistance on a more Republican bent. If it's liberal, nobody should be telling her where to land on various continua. Reading some of the student comments on sites found on the internet confirm some of these assessments.

I ultimately learned that, for me, the ideal university contains at least 25,000 students, has people from all over the world, has all religions and non-religious people, has liberals, conservatives, and everything in between, and is located in an area that has much the same demographic makeup. But, we've all got our criteria.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2013 at 08:19 AM ----------

Yeah, if not from students' calls, then from parents' calls. LOL.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No idea about the software that's used for college applications. But I will say that I despise a lot of the computer forms I've had to deal with because they are so rigid and force limited range of answers. And will hold you at gunpoint until every question is answered, and answered a way it wants.

One thing that was nice about paper: it doesn't club you to death when you answer truthfully, but give an answer the system can't deal with...

#13 BMC77, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. ByTheSea

Just figured out that I can skip the question and still have the application ready for submission! Problem solved. The question is listed in the final copy but it's blank. It allowed me to move forward to the next section.

I do think that they are asking for statistical purposes. I don't think it will make a difference for being accepted, especially since they specify in the paragraph that your answer will remain anonymous.

I can't make wall posts either! Here is a thread that has to do with the college.

15. Pat

Pat

It's for statistical purposes and it's for grants/scholarship ability I'm sure, but it's still very inappropriate for people who aren't ready to address their sexuality to others yet. It's an insensitive approach to our sexuality, as if it can be titled a "perspective".. Doesn't really apply to their explanation as to why they need it. Doesn't tell you much about a person's background. Hmm.. anyways. I just think things that aren't evident when they meet you shouldn't be asked. I mean, I guess they could figure you're gay by mannerisms or speech, but it still wouldn't be appropriate. If it's not okay for employers to ask you in this country, it shouldn't be ok to include it on a college application because for all you know, it COULD determine whether you get in or not. The thought crosses my mind every time I say i'm black on an application. Does that mean you're going to be hiring me to diversify your company because you think it's better? Or are you doing it out of some company goal or satisfaction.. Am I not the most qualified person and you're giving me the job anyway? We're all people and I normally don't like being classified in any way, especially here in the south.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that Oberlin (which is *extremely* gay friendly) uses that sort of information to help them select a more diverse pool of students. Keep in mind that if you can check "yes", it will often help you a little bit with acceptance because any other selective school (other than, say, Oral Roberts or Liberty or Bob Jones U) is also seeking diversity, so being gay will help.

Also, I agree with the others, an "I prefer not to answer" is the same as saying "gay." I remember on Myspace, which used to default to "straight", anyone who answered "no answer" you immediately knew was gay or bi :slight_smile:

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They didn't ask point-blank like that, but it was on my housing sign-up that they asked open-ended, "What is your sexual orientation?"

Since my boyfriend and I intended to be roommates, we both answered straight. Well, they did assign us together, and that's why we're not telling people that we're actually a couple.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a list of the least gay friendly colleges I recently saw. On that list were Wheaton, BYU, and Notre Dame. The others didn't push back on that to refute that claim, but Notre Dame did. There were more religious ones, but I don't remember.

For gay friendly, the list was fairly standard: NYU, Sarah Lawrence, Wisconsin, Berkeley, Smith, Mount Holyoke, New College in Florida, and a smattering of small liberal arts colleges in the Northeast and Midwest.