1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DatChickBassist, Aug 22, 2013.

1. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    It took me quite some time but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I am bisexual. So far only some of my friends know and my younger sister knows. I'm a little nervous about my other friends knowing but otherwise I'm okay. The real issue here is my mother.

My mom is a very conservative Christian who sees everything in black and white. It's bad enough last year when I came out as an atheist she flipped out on me and told me she didn't care how I feel. I can only imagine how she'll react to me being bisexual. This is made even more complicated because she doesn't believe bisexuality exist. What do I do? :confused:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for starters if she doesn't need to know right now I wouldn't tell her. If she really doesn't believe bisexuality exists then telling her before you have the girl to show for it isn't going to do much...I mean it sucks and she's wrong but that's the unfortunate truth about the stubborn mums...

However, if you really feel like going for it then just come out and say it. "Hey Mum, so I'm bisexual. Byeeee" She's going to flip out either way so you may as well focus your energy on figuring out how you're going to deal with whatever crap she flings your way afterwards than worrying about the right way to tell her. It's up to you if that means choosing ways of changing her mind about the subject or just how to put up with her being angry.

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom reacted much worse when I came out as an atheist than when I came out as gay. She just screamed her head off in the latter, but in the former she almost threw me out of the house.

It will likely take your mom a long time to accept you, and begin accepting bisexuality as a whole. So tell her when you feel really ready to start that journey.

4. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    ElliaOtaku: I live in a pretty Republican state so finding a girl for evidence isn't exactly an easy task :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I get what you mean. I don't think I could deal with my mom being angry at me all the time though.

Adi: When I came out as an atheist my said she didn't care how I felt and tried forcing to go to church. If I came out as bisexual she might just try sending me to some creepy Christian reformation therapy.

5. Awkward Balloon

Well as the first reply said, I suggest that as long as you're under no pressure to come out just don't. I know it must be hard trying to hide this part of you, but that might be better than what life'd be like if you came out.
    Unfortunately some people are just set in their ways, and you could have to accept your mother might never completely believe in your sexuality nor be happy about your "decision".

6. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    Awkward Balloon: You're probably right. I just hate hiding this part of me. My mom and I used to be super close so keeping something secret from her really sucks.

7. Hunted

Honestly
    Just tell her
    She is your mother and she loves you
    She'll understand
    I suggest tellin her when your on a car ride or watching tv together
    That's how I came out to my mom
    Even if she doesn't accept I at first
    She will eventually you just have to give her time to come to terms with the fact that you like guys and girls
    She'll come around
    I'm sure of it
    Best of luck :grin:

8. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hunted: I don't think she'll ever come around if I do come out, but thanks! She's my mom and I'll love her regardless.