1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just cannot do it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kresukun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kresukun

I can't seem to find the opportunity to tell my mum about my sexuality. A couple of minutes ago I mentioned the film 'Prayers for Bobby' and she wondered what it was about. I wanted to dodge that question and just to ask her to watch it, but annoyingly my sister had to burst in and make my mum angry.

There is never that chance for me to talk to her because she is usually surrounded by either my brothers and sisters or my dad and I don't want to tell them right now. Another chance missed it seems.

2. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    aw man, its ok. (didnt mean to rush you or anything).

Just wait for an opportunity, you will know when it is the right time.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No rush or anything.

When you find an opportunity, just go for it; only you know the right time.

Although...this makes a very good conversation starter (in my mind.)

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents are the hardest part, they've known you the longest, so changing things with them are the hardest part. I know mine would be accepting (of course Dad kind froze for about 45 minutes) but it was still hard to tell them.

5. DanD

Sending tight hugs your way dude (&&&) Keep strong, and best of luck

6. coreyl13

Prayers for bobby is amazing and it was a good convo starter.. too bad it didn't turn out. Youll have a lot of these moments. When its time it'll come out. Keep trying until you finally do it. :slight_smile:

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to sort of force the issue, you can. You can send her an e-mail or text, if your mother uses either. You can hand her a note, if she doesn't. You can say everything in the e-mail text or note, or you can simply say you want to talk to her about something important when she has a second.

Lex

8. person57

You don't have to come out to her now, do it when ever you feel ready:slight_smile:

9. Hunted

Try telling her when you're on a car ride alone with her

10. LuvMyIB

Lex that's what I was thinking.... Kresu, How about writing her a letter that way she will read it alone.... Kresu, I will keep you in my thoughts I hope that you find the right time alone with your mom to tell her....good luck

11. kresukun

I've written a letter and placed it on her bed, now I just something to calm me down and take my mind off of all of this.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great to hear that you've mustered the courage to do this! Let us know how it goes man! We're all rootin' for ya!! (*hug*)

13. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, congratulations. I know what a huge step this is. I can't imagine how the waiting must feel. I came out to both my wife and my parents via email, but I sent it when I knew they would be able to immediately read it, and texted them asking them to do so. Even at that, and the extremely supportive text I received back from my wife, I was shaking so hard that I couldn't drive back home for about 30 minutes and half of a pack of cigarettes!

Breathe. This is probably the hardest thing that you've ever done. I know that it was for me. The first step is the hardest. Wishing you the best!

14. I also had a hard time telling my mom. I ended up coming out to her in the midst of a family fight and she was really shocked, but she had no problem with it. It was really awkward, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack afterwards because she was all she said was "That's fine. We have no problem with that, you know that", and that as it. It just seemed too easy, and I was on the verge of having a panic attack, but it was all fine. Bottom line is, there really is no right time, it will most likely be a little uncomfortable no matter what, and it will be terrifying, but afterwards you'll be glad to have it all done and over with. Coming out is hard enough as it is, let alone coming out to mom or dad. I hope all goes well for you, but for now, just try to relax. You'll get around to it eventually.

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is awesome that you decided to write the letter and have left it for her to read it.

While you wait for her to find and read it, why not go for a walk, or do something that allows you to relax and switch your thoughts for a bit.

Deep breaths; I'm sure it is going to be fine. :slight_smile:

16. Pocky

Nice one dude! You persisted and found a way to get to her without those pesky brothers and sisters getting in the way.

I was a mess when I told my mum. I was the one that was crying :eusa_doh:

But you know what happened? After this big drawn out process she was immediately ok with it and said she had suspected it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Having said that, my mum was manic at the time (she's bipolar). However my point is that we can make such a big deal about what the consequence might be, but usually we're being unreasonable and things go better than expected.