1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice about school applications.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 18, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

I applied to a Music school, a private college to be exact.

They called me back, and we scheduled an interview for this coming tuesday. As excited as i am, im also more nervous than i can put into words, but to give you an idea, i looked at the calendar today and broke down sobbing. Yea, im that scared that i wont get in.

So i just wanna know what kind of questons you guys think they will ask?

2. otc877

otc877 Guest

Rather than obsessing over what could happen, I think it would be better for both your sanity and your chances of getting in if you calmed down.

A rehearsed interview is not the way to go, be yourself. They showed interest in you for a reason. Don't be nervous, go with the flow.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

3. sdc91

Calm down and relax!

The whole point of the interview is to see if you're a good fit for the school. Just be yourself and let them to get to know you.

If you were in their shoes, would you rather interview a calm person or a trainwreck? I know, easier said than done, but I'm sure you'll do great!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great, now she's going to be nervous about being nervous. :slight_smile:

I didn't go to music college, but I did go to a four-year college, and I had an interview there. I got my nice suit ready, but morning of, I couldn't get my tie to tie - I've always been awful at that. I finally said "screw it" and wore the suit without a tie. I got to the college too early, so stopped for some breakfast...and proceeded to dribble syrup on my good shirt.

Argh.

Fortunately, when I wore my sports coat, it hid the stain.
    Unfortunately, when I got the office for the interview, it was stifling hot in there.

One of the interviewers asked, "Are you sure you don't want to take your jacket off?"
    I finally said, "Well, I'd like to, but it covers up the syrup stain on my shirt so well..."
    They laughed, I laughed, and the interview was suddenly a thousand times easier. :slight_smile:

As far as questions, there'll probably be some standard ones.

"Why did you want to attend this school?"

This one's not too hard. Explain first why you want to attend a music school in general. Don't say "because I hate math" - keep it positive. "I've loved music all my life. And the more I study it, the more interesting it gets." Then move it to their school specifically, pointing out areas of study that interest you.

"What do you hope to get out of this school?"
    If you have a set idea on what you'd like to study, let them know. "I've always wanted to work on composition, and I'd love a chance to devote a good part of my schooling to that." If you're not sure, let them know that, too. "There's so much about music I still don't know, and so it's tough for me to say. I do look forward to trying out several aspects - composition, performance - and seeing which areas I like, and which ones I do best in."

"What do you feel you can offer this school?"

This question sucks. I've never liked it, but you can guarantee they'll ask it, or something similiar. In short, they're saying "What's in it for us?" It's tempting to be a smartass and say "$20,000", but resist. :slight_smile: Instead, think about how your positive traits can be beneficial to the school. Are you a good ensemble player? Do you enjoy accompanying soloists? There's probably at least one spot you can point at. Stick with that.

Some basic things to keep in mind.

* Be on time, or early if possible.
    * Shake hands with everybody unless there's a huge group (there probably won't be) or they're really far away (they probably won't be). Make eye contact with each person as you shake hands, and repeat their name as it's given to you. Remembering the names is a bonus, but not necessary.
    * If you've been sick, and shaking hands isn't a great idea, tell them immediately. "I'm fighting off a cold right now, so I probably shouldn't be shaking hands now." They'll both understand and appreciate you letting them know.
    * Admit you're nervous right off the bat. They're used to that. "I'm kinda nervous - I've never had to do this sort of thing before."
    * You don't have to have perfect posture, but don't slump ahead with your head in your hands. Look at least somewhat alert.
    * Try not to frown or furrow your brow too much. You don't have to have a huge fake cheery smile on your face, but try to avoid looking like this is torture - it's not supposed to be.
    * When someone asks a question, look at them. Once the question is asked, repeat it to yourself silently to make sure you understand it. If you don't, ask for some clarification. "I'm sorry - did you mean...?"
    * If an answer doesn't instantly come to mind - and that'll happen - let them know. "Hm. Let me think about that for a second."
    * Try to make your answers be roughly a shortish paragraph in length, unless they're quite obviously a yes/no question. Three or four average sentences is a good length to shoot for. That'll give them the relevant information without you rambling too much.
    * They'll probably jot some things down as you answer. Don't panic - they're supposed to. They're not writing down how much they hate you, or the mistakes you made. They're just taking some generic notes on your answers.
    * Remember - these people are human, too. They know what this is like. :slight_smile:
    * At the close of the interview, they may ask "Do you have any questions for us?" It wouldn't hurt to have one, but if you don't, feel free to say "Actually, I don't. Your website and materials covered everything I needed to know."
    * At the end of the interview, thank them for their time and shake their hands. Don't ask "When will I find out?" - they'll let you know. And if it went easier than you thought, which it probably did, thank them for that. "You made this a lot nicer than I thought it would be."

Go kick butt. :slight_smile:

Lex

#4 Lexington, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  5. Leigh

Leigh Guest

^^great advice. remember theyre not trying to catch you out they just want to get a feel of your character

and dont freak out if they seem really passive at the end... interviewers NEVER give any inclination right away.

GOOD LUCK. be positive and im sure itll go fine.:icon_bigg

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How can I give any better advice than Lex did? All I can say is just show them your passion for music! Try not to talk fast and if you feel yourself getting nervous, take a deep breathe. Good luck!!

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Lex's advise is excellent.

I think the most important thing is to be yourself and be honest. Interviewers can spot people who are trying to put on a personality or not being honest with their answers.

Don't think "what answer do they want to hear". There is no right answer. The answer they want is your genuine honest opinion.

And as Becky said, show them your passion and enthusiasm for music.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

Lex has given a number of great pointers. Just remember to stay relaxed and just be yourself. Good Luck...hope it goes well! :slight_smile:

9. Alexander

When I had my interlochen audition I did a lesson format thing with the oboe guy. We went over my piece and then talked about oboe and life in general. (It helped that I had somehow given him the link to my website previous to our meeting so he had a chance to gain some common ground with me.) See if you can arrange something like that for your visit - a one-on-one with the main person you are considering studying with.

Since you already have an interview scheduled, remember a few things: the point is not primarily about how well you play or how much history or theory you know, but what your potential to lear is. A good teacher will be able to gauge that on your first meeting. Relax and open up, make eye contact, and (omg the hardest one of all time for me) smile. You don't have to be serious, and in fact that may hurt your interview. Good luck!

p.s. what school is it?

10. MusicIsLife

:grin: Thank you guys sooo much for all the great advice, Lex especially. & Alex - its for Recording Arts Canada, in downtown montreal. The school is a technical school, for like mastering, sound engineering, etc.

My mom told me that I'll "for sure get in cause im a girl" and theres not many girls in this field, but i do not wanna rely on that bit.

Thanks again everyone!