1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EmmaDilemma, Aug 23, 2013.

1. EmmaDilemma

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm pretty confident with who I am and the fact that I'm attracted to girls. I'm out to most of my friends and workmates, but not my family.

I need some advice about how to come out as bisexual to my family so they respect my choice. I want them to not be confused by the ambiguity of the term and think I am just experimenting or going through a phase. I want to be clear to them and hope they support me.

Advice? Thank you anyone who read this, you're a beautiful person :slight_smile:

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey. How old are you? You say you have "workmates", so I assume you're over 20, no? It's great if you are, as an adult is more likely to be taken seriously than a teenager.

Sadly, how your parents react to your news depends quite a lot on the kind of people they are, so don't beat yourself too much if it doesn't go the way you want it to. They'll likely need time to get used to it. You could try getting them a book on bisexuality, or something, if this is a subject they're totally unfamiliar with. Also, be firm if they eventually try to push you into an opposite sex relationship. And DO NOT use the term "choice" regarding your sexuality.

3. Meribor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've gotten a few brochures put out by the Bisexual Resource Center through a local bi mens group I go to. A brochure may be easier for your folks to absorb at first than a book.