1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally made some progress

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wildwings, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well i am now out to people who ask but not family. Family will be difficult but as for friends i finally managed to come out to them and things seem fine. I decided to take the risk of losing them as new friends can be made but it worked out fine. Only thing family is too risky i dont know how i can tell then át the moment with their old fashioned beliefs.

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

YAY!!!

One step at a time, I think its absalutly awesome how much progress that is. Keep up the good work!

The thing to remember with your family is that you dont get to choose one another (or maybe not on a human level), and while it might not be exactly what they want to hear, I promise they will come around to the idea. Are you aware of the 5 stages of grief? They are:
    Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

Most family members who are "old fashioned" as you put it, are really just not experienced, or ignorant (which does not mean stupid, it just means uninformed). So likely, they have created an identy for yourself that is straight, and with that comes many preconceived ideas, like a wife, kids, blah blah blah. When something comes into the field of consciousness that is unfamiliar, it becomes immediately rejected, because it doesn't fit in with their small view of the world (Sound familiar, most people in transition do this to themselves as well).

Just make sure when you are ready, that you are ridged in the way you see yourself. Telling your family will bring you closer together, with them, and yourself. I like to see it like this: Sometimes when things fall apart, it gives people a chance to put them together in a stronger, better way. Telling them allows you to be the most honest with them and yourself than you have ever been.

Much love dearie,

3. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear what your saying just it is easier to tell friends well what I mean is compared to family as you can get many new friends but cannot get a new family. Guess there will have to be a time for me to do just don't think the time is right this minute. Maybe when I am in something serious I will tell them as I will need to.