1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night before

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Randy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So as all of you know (or most of you know), I've decided to come out through a letter tomorrow (Aug. 24). Fortunately, that is also move-in day for me and the best day I could come forth and do it. I wrote the letter July 13, it has sat in my Google Drive since then enduring countless revisions and reads (mostly by me). Well tomorrow is Aug. 24, Move-In Day and Coming Out Day, I will have absolutely no problem planting the letter. Ya see, my mom is at work when I will leave and my dad will basically come home from his event and then take me of to University. So no foreseeable problem is present as far as planting it goes. The problem lies within myself. Mainly, I'll have a panic after I set it down and leave; always happens, I guess I think I'll second-guess myself. Is this normal to do? Whatever...I think I need some positive vibes going my way.

Also, I have two notes from my parents.

One of them saying that:
    And the other saying that:
    I scanned those into my computer so I have a copy of them myself. Would it be a good or bad idea to include them? I've made a pro and con list for this. The only pro I can think of is they would be able to read their words that they typed in these notes (written four years ago). On the other hand, the only con I can think of is they might view the act of including their notes as a perceivince of their son not trusting them enough that I will love them no matter what.
    Please :help:

Also, my mom is extremely fearful of me not getting enough respect from my students when I become a teacher. Let me give you some examples (LGBT or not): Do not have your Facebook altrenate name as Randy Pandy, that sounds a little gay and as a teacher you should not do that. You won't be able to say 'blah' as a teacher, you won't get respect from your students if you do that. And this little bit will absolutely...lemme just say: I don't think I'll hear the end of it from her when she finds out since she knows I'm gonna be a teacher. Reason I say that is because Texas is an at-will employer meaning that if someone wants to fire you because of your sexaul orientation, they will and can do just that. Another reason is I think she knows how disrespectful kids are today and she thinks they'll disrespect me IF I do decide to come out to my students? How can I quell this little fear of hers. I just don't want her to think I'm throwing my life away.

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well it sounds like you are mustering up a lot of confidence in yourself, and thats great! The one thing to maybe remind your parents is this, you are an adult, and while their approval is appreciated, it is not required. If you mom or dad doesnt always like what you are doing maybe thats ok. You are your own person, and it is not their job to live your life, thats your job.

Good luck!

3. kresukun

I know how hard it is, I just went through it a couple of hours ago. Firstly, you are a strong person for actually telling BOTH of your parents, I only was able to muster up the courage to only tell my Mum. You might have a panic but that is alright, I think I did when my Mum kind of confronted me about it but it wasn't as bad than after watching 'Prayers for Bobby'.

I think it would be nice to include quotes from your parents, it shows them that you had taken their words to heart and you're showing how much of an impact that those words have had on your life.

All the best from a nerdy lad in the UK. :lol:

Plus Hugs (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. Holly

I know how scared I was, so I'm wishing you all the luck in the world right now!