1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out/Transitioning in High School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theskywreck, Aug 23, 2013.

1. theskywreck

I'm starting Secondary 4 (which is basically Grade 10 or 11 where I live) and I feel it is necessary to go through a social transition (female to male) this year. This may be a little vague, but I need help from all of you who have transitioned in school. I'm only asking for tips, coming out ideas or whatever is relevant that you wouldn't mind sharing with me. :grin:

Things you need to know: Here there are five High School grades so I'm in the second-to-oldest age group and only have two more years before I graduate. Also, I don't really have any legitimate friends so please don't tell me to tell my best friends first. I am out to my family and have proposed changing my name months ago, but my parents didn't like it and I still haven't had the courage to get them to agree on another one. I was thinking of Isaac. (I also don't own a binder yet; if that matters to any of you, I don't know.)

So, yeah. I mostly don't know where to start, how to deal with bathrooms and actually get people to call me Isaac or whatever I end up being named. Any help and tips would be appreciated. I'm absolutely unprepared and I don't know what to do. School is in about a week and I would want to get things going as soon as possible (but there's no rush - I'm pretty patient).

I thank you all for reading this most likely boring post and sticking with me. :slight_smile:

2. starships

Hi there Isaac :slight_smile: I am going through a similar situation right now but I am MtF. If you are wondering about bathrooms, when I first started out using the women's bathroom (I still don't fully use them yet) I went in the occasional time at restaurants, hotels ect just to get used to the feel of them as they are pretty quiet most of the time unlike public bathrooms. But in the mean time if I am alone I strictly use the disabled toilet as it's got no label and is a singular toilet so no one can really tell if you get me. About getting people to start calling you Isaac (or what ever you end up choosing) I started out with joking around with the idea to people almost just so it got into their heads that this is what I wanted then I stopped using my real and used a unisex nickname which helped soo much. But still not many people call me by the name I chose just yet as it's such a large change. You could also possibly write 'Isaac' on your books, if anyone asks your name tell them it's Isaac, avoid using your birth name as much as possible so people will almost not think about it too much so when you do make the full change to Isaac it will not be as much of a shock :slight_smile:

Good luck x

3. theskywreck

Thank you. These are really helpful hints. I'd never thought about using the disabled toilet at school before. :slight_smile:

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well Quebec is Quebec,even rural areas are acceptive,I hope this turns out well for you!