1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm NEW at this. Should I wear a GAY BUTTON?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oddlife35, Aug 24, 2013.

1. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In short: Should I wear a gay equality button in my new town to advertise to people that I just might be gay? I'm new at this.

I recently moved to a new city and I'm starting over with new friends at a new grad school.Though I've been gay all of my life... I've never actually been gay. (Does that make sense?) Right now I am not out to ANYONE, but I plan on eventually coming out to everyone soon.

Over the years, girls have tended to fall for me. Plus, I'm now open to dating guys. (I think... Don't get me wrong I've been feeling this all of my life, but it's just weird for me to say it.)

For these reasons, as soon as I come out to my close friends and family, I think I should advertise to people that I may potentially be gay by wearing an equality button (if one of those exist, I've only seen the symbol on Facebook), especially since I think I want to get married someday... to a guy. And, yeah, support equal rights baby. (Whatever.)

So is this a thing? Because first of all I've never seen anyone wear one, and secondly will I get overwhelmed by people asking me about it? I'm not used to talking about sex to my friends, let alone random people who would see my button.

Weird question?

2. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could have one on your messenger bag or book bag. It's been a few years since college, but I think that is something that people still do. I haven't seen people wear buttons on their shirts since I was young, but if you want to wear one then don't be afraid to be a non-conformist! :slight_smile:

Also, a lot of people wear rainbow bracelets as a subtle way of letting others know they are gay. They are relatively easy to find online. If you have a car, you might consider getting an HRC or other gay rights bumper sticker.

3. Holly

It's a good way to start being 'yourself', and have the ability to do that without anyone having any preconceived perception of you. I foun th hardest thing was telling people I'm gay after them thinking I was straight for years... It definitely sounds like a excellent way to start coming out to people. I expect it would be easier to come out to complete strangers rather than friends/family.

Honestly, I'd go for it :L it sounds like an excellent opportunity! I'm planning on wearing a rainbow bracelet and being very open about it when I get to uni :slight_smile:

4. Ohhai

I put a little badge (button, I guess you say in the us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) on my laptop bag and a little rainbow sticker on my laptop. This is around uni. Dunno if anyone has noticed yet. Hopefully someone will.

5. monotone

I bought a water bottle with the HRC logo while I was in the US and I bring it to school, as a subtle way of hinting that I'm gay.

So far, no one has ever mentioned it.

6. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Code:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hmm. Yeah, I guess I wasn't planning on putting a button my my shirt but seems like people miss the message otherwise, maybe I need to wear some gay t-shirts to make it more noticeable. I'm not into overly tight t-shirts, though. :lol:

Sounds like a bracelet is a way to go... to girly?

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2013 at 08:15 AM ----------

Thanks for the insight: I'm sure it will be hard for those that have known me as straight all my life. As everyone seems to say, it was difficult for me all these years to come to terms with my own gayness, I shouldn't expect it to be easy for others. Thanks.

Yeah, university seems to be a great place to come out to people, but I guess I don't want to over do it and put my gayness all over people's face. I want to be understood as gay, at least pro-gay, but that's not all I want to be known for.

7. Holly

That's actually some really great male ones, I saw them when I was browsing for my own one. Or you can wear a rather 'gender neutral' one like the silicone wristbands. They are really good in my opinion, and I'd love to get one. It's imprinted with 'pride'. The wristbands are rather bright though, so it may be a bit more 'outward' than your gay button idea :slight_smile:

eBay do some really cool ones, and BananaRainbow. They have a really good selection of masculine ones!

8. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for sharing guys, but sounds like people aren't getting the hint. Any other ways people give a subtle hint? Or does it matter?

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

Sounds good, Holly. Yeah, I don't want something that says "GAY!! GAY!! GAY!!"... just "eh... gay." :icon_wink So I'll look into these sites.

9. Pixiechic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say go forth and buy the pin! I think it's a super good idea if you want to. Ramdom I've also been thinking about getting rainbow colored jewelry (some of there stuff is really cute) to hint at it as well nothing too crazy though, dont want to be a walking rainbow. lol A pin is a nice idea though it's perfect.

#9 Pixiechic, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, definitely DO NOT want to be walking rainbow. :lol:

Right... see me next year at a pride parade sportin' more colors than Rainbow Bright. Hi, I'm gay gay gay!

[​IMG]

11. Fairylink

If that's what you want to do, and it feels right then I say go for it. I don't personally like rainbows, however I love bright colors. Bright colors can be almost as much a giveaway as rainbows depending on the color and how much of it you wear.

12. lovely lesbian

I've ordered some bracelets rainbow of course I'm going to see what happens if people notice.x

13. Naomilly92

I wear a LGBT rainbow wristband personally... It's really colour and sticks out like a sore thumb, I literally depend on it sometimes, I see it as a beacon of hope when things are going wrong, reminding me why I'm here

14. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not out to everyone yet, and im not out to my parents yet. So when I'm not around my parents but im in public I wear a rainbow paracord bracelet. It not only lets people know but it also makes me feel more comfortable and confident in myself. It sticks out like a sore thumb, cuz I'm not the colorful type. I always wear blue and black and brown.

15. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Great ideas and encouragement.

Maybe we can make it a goal to makes sure we wear our gay whatevers on Coming Out Day, or whatever it's called.

16. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair enough question.
    I have a LGBT Equality bracelet that I always wear, and I have a badge that says, 'I like guys too'. It's kinda comical, but I put it on my school bag or something so you only see it if your really looking.
    But, both of those subtle hints usually work.

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

I thought about printing a business card and pinning in on my clothes:
    Name
    Phone number

17. biggayguy

I had an Equality Ohio T-Shirt. I wore it so much that it got holes in it. Now I'm shopping for a rainbow bracelet. Does anyone know a good web site for rainbow jewelry?

18. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did ebay for rainbow jewelry. It was less than a £1 for a bracelet. Most of that was shipping to be fair. you can order loads and the price be really low because the shipping is the same.
    So, could get a few simple bracelets for about $1.