1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a month...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holly, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Holly

Around a month ago, I came out to my parents. They were very supportive, although my mum was slightly disappointed, but she accepted it and said that she just wanted me to be happy.

Since then, I thought things would have gotten better. I'm naturally very open with my friends, so the topic of my sexuality comes up rather a lot with them, and I really love it. I feel like I can very openly discuss my attractions, and feelings and not be judged. This is vastly different from me with my parents.

I thought coming out would change that difference, but it hasn't. The topic of me being gay hasn't discussed since I came out to them. I know they're probably waiting for me to be okay enough to talk about it, and I'm beyond proud of who I am, the idea of talking to my parents about it just doesn't seem to be happening. Any mention of relationships seems to be strictly off the board, and if it is mention, it's never gone into specifics.

This makes me think they're not actually okay with it. I desperately want to be open about it, but I don't feel like I'm emotionally stable enough around them to bring it up again, to me it just feels like me having to come out again, and that was a hard experience as it was...

I know I almost need to bring it up, I've been meaning to as I really really want a pride bracelet, and all the online ones need PayPal, and my dad has an account, so I would have to talk about it with my parents. I just can't seem to bring it up.

What do you think I should do about the whole situation?

2. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in the same boat as you, I fear: I can't talk with my friends, cause not everyone in my friend group knows yet, and we're always too public.
    My mom admitted to me, when I had enough courage to bring the subject up again yesterday, that she hadn't even though about it again, so I never talk about it with my parents either.

I suggest you bring it up casually to them: pretend that, since it's out, it's not that big a deal. They may even just be waiting for you ( or forgotten, like kine :/ ). Ask your dad as you would any for other thing that you'd like him to buy for you. If he resists, make sure he knows that it's important for you.

3. Holly

Thank you, it's nice to hear someone who's in roughly the same position. At least I am at an advantage where I can speak to all my friends about it, so that does give some release...

I might mention it if I can. Just if the subject turns to something vaguely related, I can just pop something in. I'm waiting for my mum to ask me what I want to buy with the money I got for my birthday. Because then I think I would have the courage to just answer 'pride bracelet'...

It's sad that your mum almost forgot. That must of been really hard for you, especially as I know how hard it is to figure your sexuality out in the first place. Then to have it seem like it doesn't matter... I hope things get better!

4. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hehe, glad I could help!
    Best of luck! (*hug*)