1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being out in college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IntoTheDeep, Aug 24, 2013.

1. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just started college this week and I'm having trouble figuring out whether I should tell people I'm gay or not, and if so, how I should go about it. I wasn't out in high school, except to close friends, so I really don't know what it's like to be out. Everyone I've become friends with here seems very nice, but I really have no idea how they feel about this issue. I'm torn because I get really uncomfortable whenever they start talking about guys and I hate having to keep the fact that I'm gay a secret, but at the same time I'm so worried about how they'll react. I've only been here for about a week, so I don't have all that many friends yet and I also don't have any super close friends yet (hopefully that will change) so I don't want to jeopardize the friendships that I have made. I want to be out so so bad, I just don't know what to do. Thanks for your help.

Also, just to give a little background, I wear a rainbow bracelet and have an HRC sticker on my laptop, and I told one person that I went to a meeting for the LGBT group on campus (she seemed fine with it). So, I'm not exactly trying to hide it, but I'm also not being blatant about it.

Maybe I'm just being impatient, but I could really use some advice.

2. blueberrymuffin

Keep in mind that, whatever your past experiences with this, 80% of our age group supports gay rights. In other words, it's a great opportunity to just be yourself.

3. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    College is a really great place to kind of "restart" your life in a way. In highschool you almost feel forced to keep up the same persona that you've had since kindergarden because you've known those people since then.

College is all new. (I'm assuming) no one there knows who you are. It gives you a chance to change things and meet new people.

By all means go for it. I did and I've never been happier because coming out at college parlayed into a really great coming out experience with my family/friends that I was hiding my sexuality from for a long time.