1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it a good idea to come out in a homophobic school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by djone12, Aug 24, 2013.

1. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :help:i just want to know if it is a good idea to come out in a homophobic school im ready to but dont know if it is a good idea i told my littel cousen and she came out as bi for the ferst time she semed mor distant latly and i was the same way when i lerned i was gay so i kined of gesed but was not shore she sed she felt lonly and scared so we talked and i gave her some suport it felt good and she sed it helped her feel beter to know she has some won to talk to so i thot it wald be ok to come out i just need advice

2. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its never a good idea to come out in an area where you arent safe. I would suggest only coming out to people you could trust. Thats rough man.

3. ItalianBlueEyes

School (especially middle school) can be either the best or the worst place in the world to come out. In your case, it does not sound like a good idea to announce to the general population that you differ from the their heteronormative expectations.

While it sucks to hide your sexuality, it sucks worse to get bullied for it!

I'd say tell your close, TRUSTWORTHY friends (who are pro-gay!)

Save the big reveal for high school :slight_smile:

4. swifter

swifter Guest

nope! don't even think about coming out to people you don't care about, that is my silver rule! you only care what the people you love may think and have to say about you, your cousin is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her. you just don't go around and be all rainbows and unicorns on your own, you still need to meet good friends that don't judge gay people.

you still need more time, you still have to grow up a little bit and become mature enough, gain knowledge about everything there is to know, become wiser, and be strong above everything! you might be young still, but show everyone (without coming out) that you are a real man! and when you have a strong support network (friends and family members that can stand by your side) you can be out to whoever wants to know and be proud!

the truth is, this will take a couple of years, it can't happen from the night before to the next morning, so stay strong until you can be safe enough to deal with it, with the support of your loved ones. May God and your Guardian angel be always with you!

5. Ohhai

Personally, I'd not do it. You're young. When I was your age, I'd have cared so much what others think. Hell, I still do a little bit. Wait until you're a little more confident with yourself, maybe even a year or so, but at the end of the day you need to be at a point in life where people aren't going to be able to upset you.

6. Pocky

Yeah buddy I'm gonna go with what the others have said and that it might not be the best time for you to come out.

Pretty much everyone your age is obsessed with fitting in and deep down feels like they don't. If someone comes along who is obviously different, they can be really mean to try and make themselves feel better.

Give it a little bit longer. Talk things out with your cousin, give her support and she can give you support in return. This is the time to just make good friends so that when you do come out, they'll be there for you.

7. blueberrymuffin

You have to use your own judgment. You're more familiar with the school. You have to weigh the cost of being in the closet, compared to your chances of being safe or socially outcast.