1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT groups and advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pocky, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Pocky

Alrighty...I posted this here because it's related to being more 'out' but mods, feel free to move it :slight_smile:

So there's this LGBT youth group (18-24) I know of that meets up once a month, basically just to do social stuff and there's also support services available if you need it.
    After being so terrified of going for ages (and I mean a looong time), I'm just going to take the leap and go to the next one.

Has anyone got some experiences (preferably positive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and advice on my first time just being totally out to a group of other LGBT strangers?
    As I've mentioned before, I get pretty nervous in social situations so I'm really looking for tips on conversation, making some friendships which go beyond the group and just getting the most out of it as I can.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Ohhai

I've not got any experience, but stalking this post as I intend to go to the university's lgbt group in September!

Good luck xxx

3. bscott92

Everyone in that group was once where you are now. My guess is that people will approach you when they realize that you're new to the group. Just realize that you're among friends there. I think you'll be happy that you went.

4. Pocky

Oh by all means, stalk away!

5. lukeluvznicki13

Unfortunately there are no groups like that in my area so I can't really provide advice or anything x.x
    However, I would just go once to see how it is an experience something new. You never know! You could make some good friends, get advice etc :slight_smile:

6. srslywtf

I'm super keen to hear how it goes, so please go! For my sake if not your own.

7. Bryar Thorne

I think it would be a great experience for you as well and I'd love to know how it goes too. At the moment, I'm looking for a group myself so hearing about it might help motivate me to go out and search. Being in this closet is a bit scary. :icon_redf

8. Pocky

Alrighty guys, shall keep you updated :slight_smile:

I think it's on in a fortnight....

9. Naomilly92

Do it! It's one of the best things you'll ever do, you'll meet loads of new people, and maybe a companion :slight_smile:. I'm joining one of my local LGB groups and the LGB society at my University :slight_smile: