1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to homophobic Chinese parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ramsdale, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ramsdale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm now 17, living in Shanghai, China, and applying for college in the US. I'm very sure I'll be studying in the US a year from now (if I don't come out to them).

My parents are both born and raised Chinese.They are very liberal in areas like politics and education, but they are quite tight-lipped about sex.

I'm very close to both of them. I'm closer to my dad and we share so many characteristics. Yet he is very conservative in matters of sex or gays. Whenever my mother gossips about gay celebrities he will snort and end the conversation. My mother mentioned to me once that he probably won't allow me to have sex before getting married.

My mother certainly allows me to have sex before getting married. BUT, SHE IS CRAZY ABOUT MARRIAGE. She has been teaching me 'how to pick the right boy for marriage' since my early teens. Everytime I talk about stupid things my friends have done, she always concludes the conversation with which of my male friends are more suited for marriage. When she chats with other parents who have boys of my age, she makes mental evaluation whether their boys can be her future son in laws.

ALSO,SHE IS CRAZY ABOUT KIDS. Everytime she sees a baby, she goes totally crazy. She expects me to have kids at most two or three years after marriage.

She got married the day right after she reached the legal age of marriage in China. Yeah.

There are times that she suspected me of being gay. She thinks that my girlfriend is my best friend (which is true) but we are too close. There was once she asked me whether I'm 'a pervert in a certain area', and I replied ,'Of course not, how can I be a pervert?'. There are days that she's really worried and tricks herself into believing that my girlfriend is only my best friend, and the reason she and I are so close is that we both grew up without friends.

After I lied to her, she again busied herself with 'arranging my marriage'.

I have been thinking about coming out because my parents are having too much expectation for my future marriage. After four years of college my parents and I will be more distant than we are now, and they will have crazy expectations for my marriage. Are they more likely to disown me then? But then I'll be financially independent, right? And if I come out now, will they cut off the financial support? Since I'm going to college in the US, the money is going to be a lot.

Thank you for reading, I really need advice right now. Their expectation is just too much.

2. Ticklish Fish

oh yeah, typical chinese families XD

While I haven't come out myself and I was from hong kong area before moving to US, I can kind of relate to you. But I'm sorry that I have no advice >_<