1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sister found out and took my nephews

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kelslanae04, Aug 26, 2013.

1. kelslanae04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been a tomboy my entire life and always thought I was gay but my family is very religious! They do not believe its right and to even be in a relationship is the ultimate sin. Recently my sister who has two boys found out about me because I told her after she asked and she said she doesn't want her boys growing up around that so she won't let me be with them. She said she's just going to pray and hope it gets better. For years I've tried to be straight for them and I do like men but there's one girl who makes me feel more than any man has ever made me feel! I don't know what to do!!!
    I am from a small town in the south and gay marriage is nowhere! I pretty sure I can count the gay people on one hand. I just don't know what's right or wrong anymore! I need help and advice please :'(

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I can tell you firsthand that there's nothing wrong with being bisexual. I think for you to deny your feelings due to another person's ignorance is wrong. These are your feelings and you should not let anyone make you feel bad about how you feel. And I cannot believe she's stooping so low that she is willing to use her own her kids against you. If anything, she is the one guilty of wrongdoing by keeping them from you, especially when there's something to be learned here. And that's to accept everyone and treat them equally; something they will not learn from their own mother unfortunately.

I guess the best thing you could do is to keep your distance from her for while. My sister treated me differently when I first came out and we hardly ever talked, even though we lived under the same roof. However, things are okay between us now, so I'm sure she will come around. Just give her time, maybe you can even educate her a bit, good luck :slight_smile:

#2 pinklov3ly, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honey,those kids will be reised to be homophobic.
    Don't try to change for them,because it will never work.
    There will be one day that they will need your help,they will see how it goes.

4. Ohhai

Huge hugs, that must be so painful xxxxx

5. pippi

I am really really sorry to hear that, your sister is acting that way, and keeping your nephews away from you. That's got to be really painful. But you know what? Just hold your head up. Be who you are. You have a right to be yourself, and you have a right to be happy. Hopefully, your sister will come around soon, and realize that the person/people she will be hurting the most are those two little boys. Stay strong, you are worth it!

6. Lindsey23

I'm so sorry. It's hard being rejected by family like that. Maybe some time and space will help. People from very religious families have a hard time wrapping their minds around homosexuality. They think it's so wrong and deviant that no one they love could possibly be gay. Maybe if they just pray hard enough you will be straight...I watched a coming out video recently and the woman in it gave the advice to give people time when they reject you for coming out. She said something like, "It took you time to accept it within yourself, give them time to accept it." You sister may be the one rejecting you and taking your nephews away but she is going to feel the pain from that as well. She's going to miss you. Maybe the pain from that will help her come around once she realizes you really can't change.

7. kelslanae04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll try and give it time. Definitely took me a while to accept it so I know it'll take time. Let's hope I don't lose them for being honest.

8. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    just keep holding on

9. Eleanor Rigby

Hi sweetheart (*hug*),

I'm terribly sorry at your sister's reaction. This must be very painful for you to go through rejection from your awn siblings. You just have to remember that the only person's happiness you're responsible for is yours. You can't throw away your own happiness just to conform to what your family thinks is acceptable. If they have an issue with the fact you're bi, that's their issue, not yours and you don't have to sacrifice yourself for them. You have only one life and you should try to live it to the fullest. What your family is supposed to want for you is happiness. If they prefer you to be miserable for them not to have to deal with their own prejudice and misconceptions, that's too bad for them but there is no way you have to sacrifice yourself for them to not be uncomfortable. If they can't be happy with the wonderful daughter, sister and aunt they've got with you, that's their loss but you can't make yourself unhappy just for their sake (if comforting someone in their homophobic misconceptions can be consider "sake").
    Take good care of yourself (*hug*), Cécile

10. kelslanae04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I definitely have to do what's best for me. Its hard being from such a close family and rarely doing things that weren't accepted by my family. But I am 25 now and realize how short life is. I just have to keep reminding myself and reading all of this kind, thoughtful and much needed advice! I know what I should do but its hard with so much negative around me at times. But all it takes is the look from my girlfriend or her kiss and I know what I'm doing is right.

I am just scared bc I keep having weak moments where I start to believe my family is right.... But I'm with her and know I am doing what's right.

11. Yeah I feel the same way sometimes. I just told my dad a few days ago about wanting to be a trans woman, and he rejected it pretty bad. Told me to see a therapist... and yet, I've had the thought of him being right cross my mind sometimes, even though I've felt this for a few years now. I'm glad you know what you're doing is right :slight_smile: keep it up!

12. kelslanae04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You keep your head up too! At some point we have to make a decision and trust its the right one. No one will ever agree that your decision is 100% right but as long as your happy then that's all that matters. And now I need to take my own advice :wink: sometimes its easier to give it than receive it. Hang in there and stick to your guns but make sure the decision you make you can live with the consequences even if that means losing it all. I don't want to lose it all but I decided before I told my sisters that no matter what they said I wasn't going to back down, which is hard! But I haven't been happy living for them in years so its time to live for me!