1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only a third of family can know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DanD, Aug 27, 2013.

1. DanD

So... I told my younger sister on facebook on Saturday that I can see the beauty in women, but there's just no chemistry at all. I told her my secret, that I liked guys, and she was so supportive. Then I found out that she's been in a relationship with a girl for five years, and I told her that so long as she's happy then that's all that matters.

I plan to tell my older sister tomorrow or Thursday, but don't/can't tell my other sister as she's said before that she strongly disagrees with same sex couples. Surely that's easy to say when you're married with four young children, you probably don't understand people who aren't attracted to the opposite sex; but I do think she should be open to try to understand.

Anyway... I digress... Today she just flat out asked me if I was gay. Two of my brothers were standing quite close to her, so I was really put on the spot and didn't want to lie so I just said, 'would it be a problem if I was?' and she said, 'well, no... but' and then one of my brothers just said something irrelevant to the conversation and changed the subject (much to my relief, but I would have liked to know what she was going to say).

Nothing else about it was mentioned all afternoon, but I'm positive she knows, and her husband will probably really dislike me if he found out. The worst thing is that I take their daughter (my niece, who is 2 1/2) out all the time to the shops and the park and hours walk away, and she'd miss me like crazy if I were to stop visiting.

I'm still going to tell my older sister, and then if the subject is talked about again with my other sister I'll be completely honest and explain how it's just something I was born with, and that it's only a small part of who I am. I just hope I don't family over this.:confused:

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on telling her, I'm happy for you :slight_smile:

3. Ohhai

Hope things go well for you xxx

4. DanD

Thanks all :slight_smile:

Also, the line line should have read 'I hope I don't lose family over this'.

It's kinda weird, because when asked if I'm gay I'd normally have said 'No' straight away, but I just know I'm stronger than I was just a week ago, so want to be honest, just not with everyone.

How can you answer the question without saying 'yes' and without lying? If you say 'maybe' it's taken as a 'yes', in fact replying with anything other than 'no' or 'of course not' seems to imply that the answer is yes.
    Perhaps my new rainbow bracelet will get a few rumours started.

5. DanD

She now knows, and seems very supportive. I'm now going to see her face to face which is a scary thought, but it has to be done.

6. Average Joe

I have pondered that for ages. It's tricky but not impossible. You could always go with "Are you kidding me?!" or "Why would you say that?". With the right tone of your voice you should be able get your point across. That way, without actually having to say "no", you're only implying that you're not gay, which should prevent the person from asking any more questions. Of course, there can't be a hint of hesitation to your answer as that might be a dead give away. Man, living in the closet for so long ruined me completely...

Anyway, good to hear your sister seems supportive. Hope everything goes well for you! :slight_smile: