1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks for the advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Acacia, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Acacia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I'm new here, but I read many threads here before I finally came out. A lot of different experiences that people described when they were coming out helped me finally tell someone I was gay. I waited until I was 23, and had girlfriends (forced into relationships to hide my secret), and act really straight so no one expected it. I've told my parents, straight roomates, friends, fraternity brothers and everyone's been understanding. I never thought I'd ever come out, and now that I have I'm finally really happy because I don't have this weight on my shoulders anymore. There are still plenty of acquaintances in classes, old highschool friends, some family, and co workers that don't know, but just telling those closest to me really turned my life around. I'd just like to say thanks everyone, for all the advice on this site.

2. monotone

It's great that everyone you've told has been understanding, especially since you're in Alabama.

3. Acacia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea there are certain family members that grew up strict southern baptist that I haven't told, but I guess I just don't really care what they think if they do find out. I'm not going to tell my coworkers at the restaurant I work at because they have that similar strict biblical southern baptist belief and it'll just make work awkward. I'm not originally from Alabama, and If I had come down to college here openly gay, I really don't think I'd made as many friends. I think people took it really well here because they got to know me before they judged me, because they thought I was straight. Sucks it's that way but I know that's why people down here don't come out very early.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome!

It's always nice to hear from folks who made use of EC's resources and joined a bit later to share their experiences. Congrats on coming out, and the positive responses you've received! I hope you'll stick around and participate in the conversations and communty here.

5. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome!

I'm glad everything's going smoothly for you! I was born and raised in Alabama to a very traditional Christian family, so I know how nerve-wracking it can be not being able to tell anyone what's happening on the inside. It was the best feeling in the world to find a group of friends that I knew were accepting enough to be able to let in on my inner thoughts and feelings. I hope everything continues to go well for you! :slight_smile:

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the main reason I can't tell my family. They were all raised Southern Baptist. I'm glad the ones you told are understanding! :slight_smile: