1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlondiGirl, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BlondiGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First time posting, but deep breaths and here it goes:

Female, early 20's, Ireland. Accepted my homosexuality about 9 months ago. Came out to a number of gay friends, close friends and a sister.

Was kind of outed on a night out at the weekend. A friend told my sister that I was gay. She wasn't shocked; she'd known for a little while, or had guessed. Um, I suppose I was finally happy to have it out in the open. However, I've realised since that I'm not sure if I was ready yet.

She was supportive and positive, and lovely about the whole thing. Except now she's suddenly posting pro-gay messages all over facebook, chatting with everyone about gay issues and posting photos of us (at a gay bar).

I'm suddenly feeling pretty trapped, and under pressure. Up until now, I've managed to keep my sexuality under wraps. It's not that I don't want to come out to everyone - but I'm just not ready. And I'm not sure if my (conservative/religious) family is either.

I kind of feel like I went from being happy and comfortable and learning and discovering new things in my own time to being thrust under a spotlight, and pressured into making this big announcement. And I really don't know what to do!

:help:

2. SomeNights

Talk to your sister about it and tell her that your not ready. It's your choice who and when you come out and she should respect that!

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi BlondiGirl, welcome to EC!

What you're experiencing is a momentum that you are losing control of, sort of like an avalanche right?

What you're supposed to do in an avalanche is "swim", in other words, there is little you can do to keep a lid on the situation, so go with the flow. I doubt any of those who might be conservative/religious in your family would ever be ready, this kind of forces the issue and may be taken as an opportunity rather than an inconvenience...ah life, so full of surprises!

Enjoy your time with us, there is much to learn!

4. lovely lesbian

Welcome hope you enjoy xx

5. Ohhai

Hiya :slight_smile: can you talk to your sister about how you feel? Xxz