1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 weeks and still not better

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, Aug 27, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to my mom about 2 weeks ago, and instead of getting better she has gotten worse. She still doesn't believe me, and I am starting to get very upset. I am only out to her and my 2 best friends, but with my sister/family around/in the car, she keeps bringing up, "who I have a crush on", or why I'm "not dating any cute guys". I try to quickly change the subject, but she will keep going back to the topic of boys. Then, today she put on a Christian radio station and I changed it because the music was annoying, and she flipped out on me saying that I shouldn't have changed it and that I need to go to church more to deal with my "problem". At this time my sister (loud mouth) was in the car. I have confronted my mom at home while alone about please not bringing it up with other people around, but she keeps doing it. I know that she has to accept it herself, but this is driving me nuts. She read my coming out letter months before I came out, yet she was "clueless", about me being gay. I thought she would have had a better reaction- she has always been supportive of gays. It's come to the point now where I try to avoid being alone with my mother because she won't stop taunting me. I have tried talking to my friends, but I feel weird bringing up my "gayness" too much with them because we are always changing by each other and I feel like this makes it awkward now... And we also don't tend to talk at length about "very personal" content. Would it be wrong to try to talk to a teacher about my being gay once school comes around? I trust her, but everything I have read said its best not to tell a teacher. I am just getting desperate because my mother is making me terrified to ever come out. She keeps begging me to "just lie and say that you are bi". I want to bang my head against a wall :tantrum: .

Well, thanks for listening to my rant! :slight_smile:

2. Ohhai

Huge hugs, sounds like such a difficult situation :frowning2: definitely talk to a teacher when you go back to school xx

3. Eleanor Rigby

I'm sorry things aren't improving with your mom sweetie (*hug*). Your mom seems to be going through the angry stage (there are 5 stages on the road to acceptance Denial / Anger / Bargaining / Depression / Acceptance). It's quite normal, but I understand this is incredibly painful for you. The best advice I can give you is to stand your ground. When your mom brings up your homosexuality in a way that is not appropriate : "This isn't something I want to discuss with you now and certainly not if you're going to make inappropriate comments." And then leave the room. You can also that you don't have a problem, she has a problem with the fact you're gay.
    I also think it would be a very good idea to open up to a teacher when school will start again, especially if there is one you're feel comfortable with.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated (*hug*), Cécile

4. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the advice! I go back to school in 2 weeks, so I am just counting down the days. Once I'm back in school, I'm barely ever home, so then at least I won't have to constantly be with my mom -.-.