1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to mom soon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainyViolinist, Aug 28, 2013.

1. RainyViolinist

Hi guys

So this past summer I've gone through the whole accepting my sexuality thing that all LGBT folk usually go through. Because of this, I've been slacking in my summer work, and I forgot to send in a report card for my high school. My mom got really angry at me, telling me I would have to give up my phone, my only means of posting onto here. I feel really upset, but I think I want to explain to her why exactly I haven't been doing what I need to do. Any advice on whether I should come out to her or not and how to do so? I feel like the walls around me are closing in. I probably won't be on here for a while if and when she takes my phone. Any advice or support will be appreciated.

#1 RainyViolinist, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Remie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is a hard one to answer.I'm a grown up and I have a good relationship with my mum but I'm still terrified to tell her I'm gay so I can only imagine how hard it is for you at your age. My advice would be to wait that she cool down , it is huge news and you really want her to have a clear head when you tell her.Once she his a bit less angry just tell her that there is a reason for your issues with school work , that something has been bothering you for a long time and it affected your school work if she his open to know more then I would consider telling her. Before you do that , do you have an idea on how your mum stance is on homosexuality , did she ever made bad remarks about gay people ? Does she seems open minded? If she seems to be homophobic , I would tell someone else first that I could trust if I was you , it might get a load off your shoulder so that you can improve at school and then when all this is cleared out you could tell your mum then. I'm much older then you and I'm going through that as well , I totally respect you for wanting to come out at 14 and wish you good luck!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're going to tell her, don't mention the fact that you think its the reason you've been slacking off. Let her come to that conclusion. You need to stress its been really hard to come to terms with without saying that it's prevented you doing school stuff.

Hopefully, if you tell her its been on your mind a lot and has been really difficult for you, she will realise how it might have affected the rest of your life and try and work it out with you, but as Remie saays it depends what your mums attitude towards the LGBT world is like