1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum wants me to get support.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kresukun, Aug 28, 2013.

1. kresukun

Sorry to talk about my problems again but I don't know what to do.

I came out to my Mum just less than a week ago and it went fine-ish. Today after I had finished dinner, she suggested I join a support group to help tell the rest of my family. But the thing is, I don't want to do that. I'm 19 and I can handle things on my own and her getting involved is one of the reason why I did not want to tell her anything at all.

I can see what she is trying to do, but I feel as if she is treating me like a child again. Other than that I am glad she is being supportive to a degree.

2. LD579

Support groups can be really helpful, regardless of age. Are there any particular reasons you don't want to go? If there's a chance of doing a test run of sorts and trying it out once, that might be something you could consider. It might help to know that many people of all ages and types go to support groups, and many find them very helpful and even comforting to know that others are going through the same thing as them. It's really like EC in a way except more personal, and, of course, it's offline.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look under your user name there. It says "regular member". That means you already HAVE joined a support group. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ec isa support group i and over 1000 others ar hear

5. GirlWhoWaited

I think your mom is probably feeling a bit helpless. This is a big development for her too, and she probably feels like she should be doing something to contribute to the process. If it were me, I'd just throw her a bone and go to a support group. Even if you only go once, it might make her feel like she helped in some small way. Moms tend to micro-manage when they can't show they love you in any other way. Who knows, you might actually get something out of it, and it's not like you have to take the group with you to tell your family. :slight_smile:

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    awww....I'm 44 years old and my mother still treats me as a child...HER CHILD, I'm sorry but you are going to have to live with that as a caring mother will always be that way :wink:

As for a support group, well....here you are :wink:

You may even want to show this group to your mother, she may want to join and find some support herself...because sometimes when a mother says things like that, they mean they are worried and they feel a little lost too. :wink:

Be patient with your mum, she is still trying to learn :wink:

7. LILuke

There's nothing wrong with support groups, I go to one and I rather like it. :slight_smile:

8. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what everyone's said so far - my mum still tries to look after me and I'm nearly 30! But also I'm gonna add that if you really don't want to go to a support group, just thank your mum for being so supportive and making that suggestion but tell her you don't feel like going right now, or that you'll think about it but you think you're okay just with her support. :slight_smile:

9. BadCanadaJoke

Tell her that you don't want to and that you'll think about it... Parents and other people in general need about 3 months tops to come to terms with it,if they don't right away... And Lex is correct once more:slight_smile:P), you have already joined a support group :grin:

10. solaris999

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is nothing wrong with going to a support group to help you coming to terms with your sexuality. There are even support groups for your parents to go to as well. (You could suggest this to your mum)

I have been seeing a counsellor and she has been helping me with the following
    1. Assurance that it is ok to be gay (I come from a Christian background and most people wont see my sexuality as a good thing)
    2. Dealing with my excitement about realising I was gay. (Yes, I was excited, simply because that realisation just explained me. I felt a massive sense of relief), but also dealing with the mourning of the straight identity that I had
    3. Dealing with the fact I was moving away from my friends and helping me find support

Realising that I am gay is one of the most important events of my life, it helps explain who I am. However it is good to have some support from people that know what you are going through.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'm not totally against your mom telling you to go to a support group, I also have to agree with Lex. You're already on one :slight_smile: That's the main point of this site. All of the mods are specialized with something you're very likely to have many questions about, and so do many other members here on this forum.