1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Twinkletoes81xx, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Twinkletoes81xx

I've decided to come out to the rest of my friends soon, maybe next week. I just don't want to hide it anymore. They are all very accepting people but I'm still very nervous about telling them:confused:. The ones that I have already told are completely fine with it but I'm still worried about the bad reactions. Has anyone been in a situation like this before and what will be the best way to cope with people reacting negatively? Thanks xxx

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember telling my whole weight training class in 11th grade. Most of the class was extremely accepting, while only a select few (like 3) were not too happy with the news. One of my "friends" actually said, "Now I can't see myself being around her after knowing she likes women." Someone who overheard her say that told me. For a few seconds it hurt my feelings, but I quickly realized that I'm not the one with the problem, she is. I always liked women, so why should our friendship change because I told her? That's not going to change how I act. I act the way I do because that's who I am. Eventually, I think she realized how ridiculous she was being and came up to me one day and started talking to me like nothing happened. Then she admitted that she missed being my friend.

So really, who cares if they don't accept you? What makes them think that them knowing is going to change who you are? Haven't you always been gay? Yes. So why should they judge? If they choose to not be your friend after you tell them, then they weren't your friends to begin with.