1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by byronea, Aug 29, 2013.

1. byronea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to come out as bisexual to my dad and stepmom. I know they will probably disown me, but I was hoping to find a way to tell them that may reduce the chance of them disowning me.

My parents are very religious. My dad was abusive while I was growing up (Always quoting Proverbs while beating us), and I am the only one of his children who talks to him on a regular basis (weekly, usually after church). Despite the abuse and despite the fact that he still doesn't think he did anything wrong, I still love him and want him in my life.

So why would I want to do to something that will make him disown me? Well I have been seeing this guy for a couple months now. Just dating. But we are both interested in a relationship. Before I get in a relationship with a man, however, I want my parents to know that I am bisexual. I dont want to feel like I have to hide my boyfriend from them.

Pretty much anyone else who knows me better than an acquaintance knows that I am bisexual.

Any advice on how to come out to them? I was thinking about doing it on Bisexual Pride Day- September 23. Nick (the guy I have been seeing) recommended making it a public place. So I am considering inviting them out to a restaurant and telling them during dinner. My aunt, however, thinks its a bad idea because then I would just ruin their meal.

2. lukeluvznicki13

Hmmm...well I myself am not prepared to tell my parents either since they are also super religious. My advice is before you drop the bomb on them and they get super emotional etc etc, just give them ideas or hints about it. Just nudge your foot slightly out the door or closet as it were on this site.
    Also, I firstly before I came out to 3 of my friends, asked them how they thought about LGBT and their views about it, and if they accepted the LGBT community for who they were, then I told them.
    So many discuss with your parents about LGBT's before you decide to fully tell them. Perhaps even convince them otherwise that it is perfectly fine for people to like who they want and all that kind of jazz
    Good luck :slight_smile: