1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Page...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smartie, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Smartie

So Im strolling down my newsfeed on fb, with my mum sitting beside me and a post from a lgbt page comes up saying something about lesbians, my mum turns to me and goes "Why have you got pages about lesbians ? pro lesbians?"
    And I just answered "It promotes gay rights." and she seemed fine with it if not a little puzzled, but my heart was hammering against my chest. I'm atleast bi and I keep thinking I wish I could tell someone in my family (friends know but its not the same)

I just dont understand why I got so nervous about a simple innocent question when I know I want to "come out" to my mum soon..
    So nervous and confused any advice on coming out etc would be gratefully received!!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's called an "opening", and you can always take one if you feel like it. You could simply say "Well, let's just say I have a special interest in these types of stories", and then your work is technically done. :slight_smile:

Since your mother seemed OK with your answer, chances are that 1. she'll take your coming out fairly well, and 2. she won't be overly shocked by it either - this is something that'll probably be a "clue" to her. Whenever you DO decide to come out, if you'd like, you can remind her of what happened. "Remember when you asked me about the lesbian stories on my newsfeed?"

Lex

3. Smartie

Thanks this is really good advice, I just kind of panicked which didnt make sense as Im usually quite assertive about most things! I probably would have took the opening as you called it but my younger sister was in the room and I thought that might make it more difficult.
    Thanks for you advice :slight_smile: