1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How it effects you....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxxDEZxxx, May 21, 2008.

1. xxxDEZxxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so yea am doing something in my ILA class about the discrimination of LBGT groups.
    I was wondering if some of you could help me out by maybe telling me how the discrimination and w/e else effects you
    also why u think People dont like GLBT groups.
    Also what u have been doing to stop it...

any of those would work...

thanks...

2. Trumpetplyer23

Discrimination affects everyone, not just black people, LGBT people, everyone. We've all been discriminated against for the clothes we wear, the tone we speak in, etc. It's not just limited to minorities.

People don't like LGBT groups for a few reasons. One, LGBT groups are different from the socially accepted 'norm'. LGBT groups break the mold, and people don't like that. Two, most homophobes don't know any gay people, and if they do, they know the stereotypical gay, which doesn't help the nonstereotypical gays live their lives the way they want to. Three, that's what they were taught by parents, society, etc. A simple philosophy of 'monkey see, monkey do'.

To stop discrimination against LGBT groups, I have stood up for gay/bi people, including myself. I don't talk about whether or not someone is gay, or straight, I just let them live. Also, I don't tell rude gay jokes and I don't call people gay.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How it affects me? It's made me a little more understanding to the discrimination faced by other groups. I've made stronger friends by dropping the ones who are ignorant or intolerant. I have a much more serious view of the world, and I notice unjust or unfair events more often than I did before I came out to myself. I can't say that discrimination has made me depressed, but I feel like I've aged ten years since I first admitted to myself I was gay thanks to the hundreds of insults, stereotypes, and assumptions that get tossed my way.

4. xxxDEZxxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thanks to the one's who have helped me out on this.

5. NathanHaleFan

I've noticed that, without exception, people have a hard time discriminating against people that they are familiar with. Take, for instance, gays. If a homophobe who had never met a gay person spent a day with an average gay person, they most likely would immediately stop being homophobic.

But people don't like finding out that they've been wrong all these years, so they naturally avoid learning about gays, and they stay away. That's why it's so effective to tell your friends that you're gay after you get to know them (if it's feasible). Homophobes will have already gotten to know a gay person without knowing at the time that the person was gay.

And why someone would judge a group of people while refusing to know them first is beyond me.

6. xxxDEZxxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ok yea thanks to all have posted and gave ur opinion it helped a lot but yea...paper is do tm so yea anything posted after this post wont be used into my paper, but it would still be kewl to hear what u all have to say about these questions.