1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaughingGear, Aug 30, 2013.

1. LaughingGear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

So, over the course of the summer and after many years of not addressing this particular aspect of my life, I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that I'm most likely transgender. It's something that I've felt deep down for years and I'm sad to say, suppressed and denied for many years. However, this summer was a big turning point for me and with leaving college soon, I want to tell my family about who I really am so that I could consider counseling and possibly transitioning somewhere down the line. There's a lot of extra stuff I could talk about but to be honest, there's no point getting into it. The main thing is that I want to start by telling my mum. She's somebody who is very supportive of the LGBT community and she honestly wouldn't care about my sexuality as long as I was happy. I was thinking of coming out to her at some point next week but I don't know quite how to broach the topic. I really do want to tell her and be able to be myself and honest with her but I just have no idea how to tell her. I would appreciate if anybody could share their story or just offer some advice. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

P.S. Sorry if this was a bit rambling but my head is honestly all over the place at the moment, so apologies :lol:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you are aware of this but sexuality and gender are not the same thing.

Counselling is good, everyone would do it even if they don't think they have problems. I'd like to be able to advise how to come out as trans but I'm still not sure if I actually did or not and I dont; dare ask!

3. LaughingGear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Apologies, I should have put gender, not sexuality. That's what I get for typing stream of consciousness and just posting it without thinking. Thanks for your response.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured as much :slight_smile:

I hope your mum really is as supportive as you think she will be!

5. LaughingGear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I hope so too :lol:

Chances are if anybody was going to have an issue with it, it would probably be my dad.

6. Jessica79

Gl with coming out ^-^

7. LaughingGear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

8. It's good to know your mom is already supportive of the LGBT community. My father isn't, and I came out to him about my womanly desires a few days ago... which didn't go so well.

Good luck to you though, :slight_smile:

9. LaughingGear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, my dad would be the same. I think he would accept it if given time but would probably find it very difficult at first to accept the idea that I identified as the opposite gender. Thanks :grin: