1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if a guy is gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soul, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like this guy in my English class I can't tell if he's gay or straight. It's hard to tell because he doesn't show any interest in girls and its like he's not showing any signs he's gay or bi or whatever. But yesterday in class this dude was talking to him basically flirting with him I was really pissed because I'm a quiet person and he was just all over him a then somewhere along their conversation the dude says I like your hair and the one I like is like thanks and smiling -.- I just need to know he's nt straight so I can have the confidence to talk to him but its still unclear to me how can I find out for myself? :/

2. Nick07

you can't :slight_smile: Try to become his friend. Umm, you would like him to be your friend if he was straight, wouldn't you? Because if not...there is no point in asking if he is gay.

3. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah but what if he's in the closet and and even if I or someone else asked him would deny it. I remember when I used to do that I was homophobic and in the closet so what if he's the same? Also I get nervous when I talk to someone I really like so I don't know the right things to say to him without making it be weird.. :frowning2:

4. Nick07

I don't think you should ask him - just because of the reason you mentioned. If you become friends and he will trust you, he will tell you eventually.

I don't know. What about starting with little everyday talk about the class, about lunch at school, about a new teacher, about yesterday's TV program, about sport events?

5. Emberblaze

Firstly, try checking his facebook and looking at his "Interested in" status. Like you said, he may be in the closet, but he may be like me and have that secretly saying he's interested in men.

In any case, I'd try to become his friend first or come out first or mention somethin lgbt activist related and discretely gauge his reaction.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's really no way to tell. There's no cookie-cutter gay man. The Facebook "Interested In" is a terrible way to see if someone is gay or straight. Just whatever happens, happens. Just let it be.

7. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was like you, in the closet and a bit homophobic (your not the only one, its kinda a way of denying what your not ready to accept).

But with him, try complimenting him occasionally. Oh, I think 'insert males name here' is cute. See what his reaction is. He might be stunned ans say, 'I know', or anything could happen, just make hints. But be careful, if your too forward he might think your trying to get close to him, and if he is closet gay/bi, he might throw loads of walls up, and things could be worse between you.
    So, caution is key :slight_smile:

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right. And when the ones that are really off the radar turn out to be interested in guys, it's sort of a WTF. On the subway, I'd regularly see this guy who was kind of a stocky, sandy haired type who was into his paper and his music, and in his mid to late 30s. He didn't have a wedding band, but I just assumed he was straight. Also riding the train, I would see a guy who was thin, slightly nerdy, wore a suit, carried a leather work bag, had a wedding band, and who was in his late 30s or early 40s. It was a good nerdiness, as opposed to a bad nerdiness, which is subjective. One day, these two ended up near each other, with the big guy sitting down and the thin guy standing near a door, and holding one of the overhead handles. The big corn-fed ex football player type would NOT take his eyes off this guy, and even kept looking at him out the window as he was walking off into the platform. I was stunned.

Sometimes, people determine sexuality by omission. That is, not having a significant other or passing certain age benchmarks and remaining single. That's not a foolproof method, but sometimes I've seen it be correlated.

#8 Tightrope, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  9. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess you're right because when there were out gay people talking to me I still hadn't accepted myself yet for it and I avoided them with any means necessary he has this friend who's to him like my best friend is to me maybe I could talk to get and then he'll join in the conversation? (I'm not sure if that's a good idea but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try)

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2013 at 04:13 PM ----------

Yeah it's been that way too in my school you never know who is gay or not. It's just really annoying because with the society we're everyone's closeted too scared to come out. And I've never had a bf I'm in the 10th grade I've had girlfriends and doubted I like boys but I do.

10. HidingInMyBox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thing is, you can't. If you really want to know, ask him.

11. GayNerd

All you can do is ask him.

12. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But what if he thinks I'm a heterosexist jerk and asking just so I can pick on him then hell say no I remember when people would ask of I was gay I'd say no.

13. HidingInMyBox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you out to him? If so he might trust you more because you trusted him.

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give him the secret handshake that all gay people know!

But more likely friends first, it'll just take a while

15. robotman

Its impossible... Some people just make it more obvious then others but you can never really tell otherwise.

16. Wells

Wells Guest

The eyes... Who do they look at more? Well, gaze not look

17. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really know what he looks at most because when we make eye contact I look away because its really awkward for me to look at someone directly in their eyes but he has been looking at me but when is look at him his eyes would be directly staring into my eyes and I'd look away and sometimes same for him but meh

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2013 at 11:30 AM ----------

I'd look at him catching him staring at me and sometimes he'd look to the other side but I've just been too nervous to talk to him we started school on the 20th of August and the only communication we've made is with our eyes and I see him every other day if school because we have a day and b day schedule

18. Data

Data Guest

You'll NEVER know if he's gay if you don't talk to him. It's almost impossible. No joke, people that had known me ALL THROUGH HS were shocked when I came out. I never had a girlfriend, but nobody ever speculated because I'm not a gay stereotype. Even if you talked to me, you'd never know unless I said "I'm gay."

You must befriend him. Then you get to know each other. Maybe once you're friends and have trust, a coming out from you will prompt one from him.

19. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm too nervous to talk to him Im afraid of embarrassing myself or saying the wrong thing and making the conversation sound awkward

20. GayNerd

It's a chance you'll have to take to find the answer.