1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blake21, Feb 19, 2007.

1. blake21

i come from a strict military family they dont know i am gay i went out of state to go to college and meet somebody we have been together now for 2 years i have meet his family and friends back home i stay with my aunt here she knows but she is on the outs with most of our family cause she has a mixed child i am scared that will be me if i come out to them the person i am with is pushing me to tell my family i get the feeling if i dont its over between us i dont know what to do

2. hello

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i understand what u are feeling.but try think about in this way it will show how much they love you. u have to show them that u have made a decsion about yourself and it only effacts you,and only you.

3. blake21

lets just say it didnt go over to well i got a call from my dad telling me to come and get my stuff out of his house and that i had to figure out how to pay for school myself that i was cut off and you could say alot of other choice stuff i wont say and that they wanted nothing to do with me couldnt figure out why he was so mad at me till he told me that he had gotten a call from jason you could say i was in shock that my own boyfriend or i should say ex boyfriend called my dad and told him that i was gay you could say that my life sucks right now

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm sorry to hear it went so badly. (*hug*)

The important thing now is do you have somewhere to life? I assume you are OK staying with your aunt for a while at least?

Unless your dad is threatening to destroy your stuff unless it is collected immediately, it may be worth giving him a week or two to see if he calms down a bit. since you are out of the state, it is reasonable that it will take some time to arrange anyway (especially if you need to get time off school/work or rent a van). It's probably also worth taking a couple of friends with you so that he is less likely to make a scene. Though of course if he does want to have a chat with you then your friends would need to leave the room but remain close enough to hear raised voices.

It does sound like he is pretty well made his mind up and is unlikely to change his mind, but maybe when he has time to consider it a bit more he may realise he has been too hasty.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why the heck did your bf tell your dad? Did he think it would help your situation? Maybe in the long run it will be a good thing, but maybe not. Have you talked to him about what possesed him to call your dad?

Although having college paid for by your parents would be nice, you should be able to get student loans and work to pay for it. That's how I paid for all of my education (5 years at the U of M) and I ended up paying the loans off within 5 years after graduating, so it is possible, but will take some fiscal discipline.

I like Paul's advice about giving it some time before seeing your dad if that's possible. I hope he will come to his senses and realize that you are still his his son whom he should be thankful for.

6. tired_of_lying411

I.am.so.sorry

This sucks so bad, man. Hope things turn around (*hug*)

7. blake21

i talked to someone about student loans my spring class have been paid for so hoping by fall enrollment i should have some loans spring break for us starts on the 10th going to get my stuff then well see how that goes taking your advice taking a friend with me for the ex bf we had a really be fight that night about me telling my dad and when i told not happen right now he said it made him really mad and thats why he called he said he was sorry now if he left at that i could of gotten over it but when he said that i was being selfish for not telling him my self so i left him no choice but to tell my dad and that i was acting like a baby cause i was mad thats when i told him it was over on his way out he told me that i need to grow up and act my age i dont think i was out of line being mad

8. Kittie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    you werent out of line for being mad what he did was really rude

9. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good riddance to bad rubbish - your ex, that is. What goes around, comes around. He'll get his in the end. Too many cliches? Sorry. :wink:

I, too, came from a military household. To compound things, I am in the service as well. Though not dependant on my family when I came out, he reacted about the same way. Over time the anger subsided, for, after all, I am his son. And that fact above all others was most important. I just happened to be gay.

I hope things go well, or at least better than can be expected. Keep us up to speed.