1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT Social Group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, May 21, 2008.

1. GoBabyGoGo

Ok i found out that the nearest group near me is like a 1 1/2 hr drive away down at the coast. That really sucks. But, a good news / bad news situation, is is only about 15mins away from a holdiday house that we own down there. So atm i'm tossing up wether to go there or not. I'm also really scared.

The thing is, they hold meetings every Thurs which makes it difficult because thats during the school week and we don't go down the coast then. So the only chance to go would be in the school breaks. I feel like it might be awkward if i go because i don't live there and all that... although i guess if i got to know some people i could catch up with them when i go down at another time about once a month.

idk. I told mum about it and she said she'd be really happy to take me there and thinks it would do me good and build up my confidence a bit more. What actually happens at these groups?? Does everybody just sit around talking, or are there activities/ speakers/ info etc??? Should i go?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It totally depends on the group--some have just talking and nothing terribly organised, some have specific topics for discussion, some have activities and speakers... some have the whole variety at different points.

If your mum is willing to take you I totally think you should check it out. Do you have a friend who'd be into going with you? That way you can feel a little less self-conscious about being the newbie.

One thing just to realise is that gay youth groups are sometimes a little like dating pools. That is, you can at times get approached by people and because there aren't a lot of venues for gay teens to meet other gay teens, sometimes people can be a little forward.

It's not something to worry about but if you just go in aware that it might happen, you'll probably deal with it a bit better. Most people leading the groups have some ground rules set to prevent people from being overly pushy.

Of course, getting hit on is not necessarily a bad thing. :lol: But it can be a little... odd if you're not prepared for it.

P.S. I love your sig! :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

If you're mom is supportive and is willing to take you, you should definitely take her up on it! It will go a long way to helping you get more comfortable with the idea that you're gay.

Remember that EVERY PERSON in the room at some point was a 'newbie' too. They know what it feels like, and they'll make you feel really welcome right away. You won't be forced into talking about anything that you're not comfortable talking about - it's as simple as just saying "I'd rather pass, today" if someone asks you to comment and you'd rather not.

In my opinion, it couldn't hurt to go. It could only help. Good luck!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I agree with Joey and Jim. It's really nice of your mom to make the offer to drive you there. Take her up on it. It can't hurt joining them and it will definitely help you to built up confidence. Most groups have meetings, speakers and will put on some events including social events where you will have the chance to meet even more people and get to know them.

Jim is right on with >>> "they know what it feels like, and they'll make you feel really welcome right away. You won't be forced into talking about anything that you're not comfortable talking about"<<< I experienced it myself yesterday. The person in the office made me feel comfortable and welcome. Having been in the office for a little while I started talking and having a conversation with the person. It was a lot of fun too. So yeah...go for it! Good Luck! :slight_smile:

5. GoBabyGoGo

No... not at all :grin:

Ok ill go next opportunity i have, which probably won't be untill the holidays, possibly later... I still feel its a bit awkward since i don't live anywhere near there and ppl will just assume that i do. Thankyou all for your comments!!

Ty, its awesome!