1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a team

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Coats22, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Coats22

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok so I'll give a little background info on this whole thing...

I play hockey on the high school team, all girls of course. We're really a close group who love to be with each other and spend lots of time together. I really want to come out to them and let them know about this part of me.

However most of the girls are younger than me and have the stereotypes of what gay/lesbian people are like. And given the fact that we all see each other in locker rooms and such I don't think they would be comfortable with it, thus making me uncomfortable. I'm afraid they won't understand that I'm not attracted to any of them and I'm still the same me.

But all in all I know I want to come out to them, and I've been close a few times but each time, I just stop and say something else. So I guess what I've been trying to say in this ramble is, how should I come out to them? Or any words of advice would be helpful, Thanks!

2. nisomer

I would suggest doing it in stages. So, if you really want to come out, I would say do it to your best friend on the team--the person whom you can trust and are closest to. Then follow up with that and come out to the others gradually, with your friend on your side. It always helps to have someone supporting you. I do realize however, that the hockey season is almost over and there is like what, a couple of months left? But yeah, I wouldn't hurry it too much, there's always next year.