1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gay Stoner, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to come out to someone that I'm gay. I don't want t tell my family( extreme anti-gay) and I only have 2 friends but I'm not sure if I can trust them. Is there any advice yall can give me?

2. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You don't have to come out if you really don't want to just do it whenever you think is the right time because if you rush this some of the reactions might not be very accepting. ;-;

3. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like I have a million pounds on my shoulders hiding the fact that I'm gay. I think if I come out to a friend it will help but I don't know what to do.

4. Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I felt that way too it just felt so weird to keep hiding it the first person I came out to was to a friend of mine and she took it really well she was shocked but we joke about it and now she's accepting of it. And then I eventually got to highschool and made new friends and then came out to them unfortunately I got outed by a not so trustworthy "friend" and that's how they found out they took it well as too. I recommend telling the absolutely MOST trustworthy person you're close too if you want to get it off your shoulders that bad.

5. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the help. It has really helped. I think I'm going to wait a week to make sure he's trustworthy and if he is I will tell him.

6. Saint Otaku

Hullo from Kentucky! I can relate to your position, homophobia in the family and all -- I gather you're still a primary school student? Fortunately for me, I have three close friends I am almost sure will keep me in confident, and I'm a senior, so if anyone else learns it won't matter much to me because I won't ever see many of them anyways. If you really have close friends like I do, and the risk is low as in my case, I would definitely come out, or at least resolve to come out. If the cost outweighs the benefit, I would dissuade you. Still, it's your call, so good luck! ^.^

7. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 13 may I ask how did you come up with primary school?

8. Saint Otaku

primary as in before college -- the school you MUST attend, silly. Although I didn't notice your age before, I was only inferring from your post.

#8 Saint Otaku, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh I feel dumb. lol

10. Saint Otaku

Nah, it's fine. I was a bit hesitant to use the word in the first place, but it was the only one I could think of! :grin: Good luck, anyhow

11. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, also in your first comment you said something about if the cost outweighs the benefit could you explain that to me?

12. Saint Otaku

Like, as you say, it would be a weight lifted off your shoulders to come out -- that's the benefit, emotional satisfaction. But if it gets out that you're gay, and your parents find out (whom I'm going to say are extremely homophobic, not that they are necessarily). Well then, you may very well have the chance of being kicked out of your home. This is too great a cost for someone your age, I believe. However, it is up to you to decide what possible costs you can or can't handle.

13. Gay Stoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh that's going to help me decide who or if I tell anyone thanks for yalls help.

14. Pat

Pat

I really believe that you should come out when you're no longer paralyzed by the fear that you may not be able to control the spread of who finds out.. Obviously you want to tell someone close so they have your best interest at heart, but at the same time, people are human and I just think it's better to wait until you're compelled to come out rather than wanting to do it. Especially if it'll complicate things for you at this moment.