1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I obsessed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AnaCat, Sep 3, 2013.

1. AnaCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm newly out after decades of denial. How long will being a lesbian be all I think or talk about? My mom, sister, and niece are being so supportive, but this topic is dominating all conversations now, and I'm thinking this is going to get really old quickly for them. Is this normal?

2. Holly

This is currently happening with my friends. It's a change for both them and you to know, so don't be afraid to talk about it, it's completely normal. It helps them get a grips with it, but also helps you feel more comfortable talking about it. Probably after something else happens in the family, the topic will decrease, but it's understandable for it to keep on coming up. I know how much I bring it up with my friends, I guess I'm still in the 'revelling' stage of the fact they now all actually know. It is starting to diminish now, so don't worry.

To be honest, you're very lucky. I came out to my parents around a month ago, and it hasn't been mentioned since. I want to bring it up, I just don't have the courage to, as I don't know if they're 100% comfortable with it.

Good luck to you, and don't be afraid of expressing who you are!

3. AnaCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Holly! Wow, so many of the people here are so young and yet so wise. I feel like a 14 year old again. All awkward and naive! I hope you get to talk to your parents about it soon! I'm guessing it was quite a shock to them?

4. Holly

Going through the whole questioning phase made me kinda grow up a guess. Honestly, I still wish I was older! But thanks, I guess. :slight_smile:

My parents were definitely shocked, my mum had no clue, and I could tell she was a bit disappointed, and definitely confused. She actually said to me that she wasn't going to bring it up all the time, and wouldn't mention it a lot, which kinda hurt. Part of me feels like I never came out to them. Hence why I want to get away from home, or at least hang out with my friends more, as I can actually talk with them about it... Hey ho, only one more year to university...

5. AnaCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry your mom isn't comfortable with it. That sucks! I started my questioning and exploring when I was a university undergrad (stayed in the closet, though, and I really missed out, but I gotta let go of the regrets!). It's such a great environment. You'll surely love the freedom!

6. Holly

I really really can't wait. It's starting to feel a bit suffocating, but I'm going to be really busy this year, so hopefully my parents wont bother me too much....

I'm sorry it took you so long to come out. I couldn't imagine staying in the closet for so long...