1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting other LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AnaCat, Sep 3, 2013.

1. AnaCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So now that I'm out, I feel the need to go meet other LGBT people and make friends I can really be myself around. Dating can wait until I'm totally comfortable with who I really am. At my age, suitable dates aren't going to want to waste time with someone who hasn't gotten her act together, anyway. I'm not a fan of drama, and the woman of my dreams won't be, either. LOL

There are no gay/lesbian bars in the suburban area I live in, and I'm not a bar/club person, anyway (unless that aversion was part of my discomfort with trying to pretend to be straight, who knows?). There are some local meetup groups near me, and I think maybe going on outings in a group could be interesting. Does anyone have any advice about joining these groups and attending events? Is it a good idea? I don't know any local LGBT people, and this is the only possibility I've come up with to expand my social circle and live an authentic life. Will I be accepted as a newly out late bloomer? Are these groups clique-y? Thoughts?

2. Ohhai

I have one male gay friend, and he is the kindest, craziest, most amazing person I've met. As fr others... I don't really know...

3. Rigby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in ultra conservative hell and desperate to meet other gays. Looking for help too! I don't drink so bars aren't an option for me.

4. LILuke

You should look to see if there are any Pride Alliances of PFLAG groups that meet in your area! That's a great way to start, it's what I'm doing. :slight_smile:

5. Remie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although I'm a bit younger then you , I am in the exact same boat. I only came out to my mother and I am looking to meet other gay/lesbians before coming out to the rest of my family.There is a gay bar/nightclub where I live in but I just can't bring myself to go there on my own , I wouldn't even go out in a straight night club on my own... I'll have to figure out something but I totally understand what you are going through...

6. LILuke

Do you have any friends who you're out to who would perhaps be comfortable coming with you? Probably more likely to be a girl friend than a guy friend.

7. QueerQueen

Considering you're out, maybe some close friends of yours who are aware of this, know of other people in the same position who are also LGBT or what not, and can introduce you to them. I live in a small city, and we have a council that gets together every so often and plans the next pride parade, and is included in this event. I know most of them are interested in the same sex, but even some straight alliance friends would be cool to have around. Going to pride parade, would be fun and also help you to meet others, especially since most go to it, because it's the time of year to celebrate us, even though it can get a little crazy at times.

Really you can find other people like you anywhere, it is difficult, but they are out there somewhere. EC in itself is a very accepting community, even though it involves being inside and on the computer, it's possible to make friends, there are even other people who have come out later on in there lives, and as far as people judging you for it, I really doubt that will happen, on here and out there.