1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender - coming out before picking a name or?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by transqueer, Sep 3, 2013.

1. transqueer

Hey guys! I was wondering from other transmen or transwomen...did you have a new name by the time you came out to your close friends or family? Part of me wants to have a name before I come out to anyone else (I've told two people) so that I can immediately say "I am trans, this is my name and these are my pronouns, respect them" but the other part of me thinks letting my mom help in picking a new name might be a way to comfort her. Any stories or advice? Thanks!

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'll be honest. When I first began coming to terms with my gender, my name was one of the first things that came to me. Partly because I'd kept a mental list for years of what I'd name myself if I were a boy.

But anyway. Perhaps coming up with a nickname (gender neutral, male, etc) might be a good placeholder for people to address you as before you settle on a name, with or without your mother's help? I myself was going to let my mother help figure out a middle name since obviously "Ann" isn't among the most masculine of middle names. :wink: Therefore giving her some say in the name and because I'm having a bear of a time coming up with anything.

3. suninthesky

I also am going to let my mom help with my middle name. My first name is androgynous so I don't think I'll change it, except maybe the spelling.

4. transqueer

Honestly I have had a name in mind for ages for "if I would have been a boy". It wasn't until really, really accepting myself that I started to doubt that name. I feel that it is a very neutral name and might still cause me to get misgendered. :dry:

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea, but then mum sort of forced it out of me so I never really had a chance. I figure she'll let me know what her name is when she's ready to come out for real...

6. Bryar Thorne

Awwh Ellia. :frowning2: *hug*

I've had my name for a long while now. :slight_smile: I just feel better telling it to someone when I explain who I am.. Almost like the name helps them to understand better. I always hated my given name anyway so I'd prefer to be called what I'd like than what icky name that was. xD

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is it Bryar! Tell meeeee *prod* or is it Bryar? Is that a real name?

8. I've came out to most of the people that matter in my life, but I don't have a name yet. For me, it's a very picky thing. I have to seek meaning in names, what they mean, where they come from, how they apply to me, and ultimately how they sound and look when written down. I have a few names picked out as considerations, but I haven't picked one yet. I don't think it's necessary to have one picked out before you come out, but I can see why some people would think differently.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't exactly have a set name the moment I came out. I do know within a few weeks of starting the coming out process I had a semi-solid name for myself.

10. Bryar Thorne

It's my fancy fabulous name :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Bahaha I'd have it exactly as my username is if I had the choice honestly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: what's your ellia so I can call ya that from now on :grin:

11. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Mine showed up a few weeks after realizing that there was a word for what I was always feeling.

I use a r.e.e.s.

Rees, sounds like Reese

each letter is the beginning of a name. I have four names.

It's who I was always meant to be :slight_smile: