1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell is keeping me from coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wonderingdave01, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Coming out to Facebook that is....

Basically I just graduated from high school and I just got into college. So far I haven't made any new friends except for...

1. The 3 kids from my old school
    2. One friend of a friend
    3. and One kid from the gay center

And I haven't gotten a chance to interact with anyone but so far I've been wearing a rainbow bracelet. So I'm out to my college and I'll say I'm gay to whoever asks but besides that one place I'm not out to is Facebook.

My family is accepting. Most of my old high school people are and I've deleted a couple of homophobes that I knew, so what's keeping me from coming out to Facebook and just saying "I'm gay"?

2. RainbowMan

I guess the question is how many friends you have on Facebook, and their relationship to you (for the record: I'm not out on Facebook either, listed as straight in fact)? If there's a ton of extended family where that is your primary means of keeping in contact with them (which is my case), then that might be a reason. If there are people that you don't know very well, that could well be another reason.

Without understanding the composition of your friends list, there's really no easy way to answer this.

3. jer2911rtd

jer2911rtd Guest

You are 17, 10 years younger than me and are a decade and a half ahead of me!Maybe you don't need to come out on Facebook at all. You could just not put anything in the "interested in" section on the FaceSpace. It sounds like the people that matter are the ones that already know and as you get more involved with your college your new friends will know. These are the people that it's important to be upfront an honest with. Random connects on Facebook aren't that important.

I'm Ryan. I knew I had same-sex attractions since I was 15. I was conflicted because I was raised Evangelical. I didn't start accepting myself until after I turned 25. I thought I was bisexual for a little while but by the time I turned 27 recently I realized I'm actually gay.

David . . . be proud of yourself!

4. That's the thing though, there is a lot of people who I'm acquaintances with and most of my friends list are people who knew me at one point. My family is basically liberal, so it can't be that. I'm not sure, I'm confused.

Ahhh okay

That's how it is now.

That's true

Thank you :grin: And I see what you did there too. lol

#4 wonderingdave01, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  5. Tzoa

This is my case as well. I'm friends with pretty much everyone on my dad's side of the family on Facebook. I think some of my cousins would be okay with it, but my aunts, uncles, dad, step-mom and her family wouldn't react well.

To the OP: Since Facebook is the last place where you're still in the closet you could just be a bit uncomfortable with being totally, 100% out. And that's okay. I'm of the belief that you don't have to tell anyone anything unless you're ready and want to. But like other people have said, you don't have to come out on Facebook.