1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at uni

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ohhai, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Ohhai

I really really want to join the LGBTQ society when I go back to uni, but I'm so scared! I keep meaning to email the rep, but always wimp out at the last minute. I'm being pathetic! I'm not out at all amongst my uni friends, but would love to meet some LGBTQ people at univeristy, and need to take this step! Keep telling myself stupid reasons why I shouldn't like, it'll be fullof freshers, I'm too socially awkward, I won't have time, etc... :/

2. Feijoa

How about you write out the email to the rep either as a draft or try it out on us :slight_smile: put down how you feel and how you aren't out to all your friends but want to be part if the community and meet new people. They will understand about discretion and may be able to offer some advice about coming out at uni.

Give it a try :wink: we're pretty good readers here

3. Ohhai

Thank you! I emailed this morning basically stating that I'm a 2nd year student and would really like to get to know other students, but not feeling up to being out in public yet. And the rep was really nice, invited me to the private Facebook group and sent me a list of private functions, and said someone will be happy to meet me outside if I'm nervous :slight_smile: so it's okay. Things are looking up!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good that you decided to send the e-mail wanting to be part of the group. I'm sure being part of the group will help you in your coming out process. Hope your first attendance at one of their private functions will go well. :slight_smile: