1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MeBeSunShine, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MeBeSunShine

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I need advice on coming out to my family and friends. My parents are pretty strong Christians and im not sure how to tell them...

2. Bryar Thorne

Hi! Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

Do you have any ideas on possibly how they might react to begin with? How do they usually speak about the community? Have you talked to them about their views? I'm guessing they may not be open minded to it by the way you said it but I figured I'd ask anyway for more information. :slight_smile:

If you're not comfortable telling them face to face, you could always try writing them an honest letter about how you feel. Either that or trying to educate them about orientation if they do happen to be a bit more open minded before telling them. It can seem daunting but from what I've read of other members on EC, I've been surprised to see that some people have really accepting parents who do happen to be strongly religious. It might help to read some of their stories to see if there is something they did along the way that strikes you. :slight_smile:

3. I agree. I've had much better luck with text messages and otherwise not face to face coming out experiences. For some reason, when it's face to face, the situation seems urgent and the mind can't really take a moment to stop and think about what it just took in.