1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An LGBT Identity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pickardy, Sep 4, 2013.

1. pickardy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm gay and have been hiding it for quite a while. Still completely in the closet

In the past couple of weeks I've moved to a new city. The plan is that I'll just kind of ease into being gay. No one here knows me as 'straight' and I think At the moment my sexuality kind of nebulous. I figure at some point I'll just be asked, and I'll say yeah what of it. The more I think about it the more I realize should I actually have a conversation about it and I run into some concerns.

There's going to be a first person I tell, and I won't quite know how to handle it. I don't want my family to know. Will it become a shared secret or can i just warn my friends to keep quiet if they ever come to visit?

At some point word will make it to friends from other places I've lived, and lied to for a number of years. What then?

While I know that I'm gay, I've never identified with anything LGBT or the word itself. I feel like I won't for quite some time. I don't quite feel like an outsider now, but I think that being gay will mean that I'm not going to quite feel right in either. It seems like my life will be more complicated.

I the long run I want to find a fulfilling relationship, and I know this is the first step. Is this the route to go?

thanks

2. charlieseese

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you have a very good idea and I say stick with it! About the family thing I dont know what to tell you:icon_sad:.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You realise that by being gay you identify with LGBT stuff even if you don't think about it? Since the important parts are equal rights and acceptance which I assume you think are good ideas.

Anyway, with regard to your family, they will find out eventually. But for the most part you control when that happens. If you've got friends you can trust not to say anything great. It's also worth considering that some people don't like being kept a secret when the parents are visiting!

In the end, when you feel comfortable enough to tell them, you can choose to. Or you can let them find out for themselves.